Eshpana, is that correct?

Rotten   Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:10 pm GMT
In what part of Spain is it that people pronounce all the S's like SH's?
Rotten   Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:12 pm GMT
sorry about the "enye" my keyboard doesn't have that character.
Guest   Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:14 pm GMT
If you don't have Ñ in your keyboard you can use nn since Ñ derives from NN.
Rotten   Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:18 pm GMT
What about using "ny" instead, like espanya, it sounds more like it, right?

Anyways coming back to the subject, where is it that Spaniards pronounce the S's like SH's?
Yop   Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:54 pm GMT
Rotten: <In what part of Spain is it that people pronounce all the S's like SH's?>

In Andalusia, a S preceding another consonant such as T or P is pronounced like an English H. Is that what you're talking about?
Guest   Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:57 pm GMT
In Andalusia, a S preceding another consonant such as T or P is pronounced like an English H. Is that what you're talking about?

I think he was talking about the peculiar castilian S sound. It may sound like a sort of sh. You can find this sound in modern Greek as well: the letter S sounds like a sh
Guest   Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:00 pm GMT
Yop, that is a nonsense. Nobodoy in Spain pronounces S like SH, that is one of the stupidities that are widespread here on Antimoon but they are at the same time plain wrong.
Rodrigo   Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:31 pm GMT
In some places S is pronounced LIKE an English SH. I do not know about Spain but here in Colombia it's common in the Antioquia region.
Guest   Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:28 pm GMT
Argentinian Spanish has the SH sound, but it simply does not exist in Castilian Spanish.
TLC   Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:30 pm GMT
<<In what part of Spain is it that people pronounce all the S's like SH's?>>

I think what you're referring to is what is sometimes called "s gorda" or "s espesa". It is a voiceless apico-alveolar fricative, articulated by raising the tip of the tongue to the alveolar ridge, with slight retraction and sometimes retroflexion. Speakers of languages that do not have the voiceless apico-alveolar fricative often mistake this sound for 'sh' or at least hear a slight "whistle" in its pronunciation.

This phoneme exists in the Spanish dialects of Northern and Central Spain and in Antioquia, Columbia.
Ian   Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:33 am GMT
In many southern states (of the USA) this kind of S is also common. A prominent example is Joel Osteen.

<< In Andalusia, a S preceding another consonant such as T or P is pronounced like an English H. Is that what you're talking about? >>

This is not typical only for Andalusia, but the whole southern half of the Castilian Spanish speaking area of Spain.
Guest   Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:53 pm GMT
<<I think what you're referring to is what is sometimes called "s gorda" or "s espesa". It is a voiceless apico-alveolar fricative, articulated by raising the tip of the tongue to the alveolar ridge, with slight retraction and sometimes retroflexion. Speakers of languages that do not have the voiceless apico-alveolar fricative often mistake this sound for 'sh' or at least hear a slight "whistle" in its pronunciation.

This phoneme exists in the Spanish dialects of Northern and Central Spain and in Antioquia, Columbia.>>

Correct.
Guäst   Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:04 am GMT
<< This is not typical only for Andalusia, but the whole southern half of the Castilian Spanish speaking area of Spain. >>

Correct.
A friend of mine comes from Aiora in Valencia, and she also drops her S's
Rodrigo   Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:10 am GMT
Les pido el favor a todos los Antimoonistas que por favor escriban Colombia (el país) correctamente, tanto en español como inglés. To "drop" or to make s's /h/ is common in the Colombian caribbean, Venezuela, Argentina and probably many other places I am not sure of.
Guest   Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:43 pm GMT
Argentinian Spanish is interesting because its not like Standard Castilian Spanish, where all s are pronounced nor like Andalusian/Caribbean/Venezuelan Spanish where they drop much more s.