Friends with Benefits

Cecilia   Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:44 am GMT
What does this mean?
Guest   Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:32 am GMT
It means that you have sex with them as well as be their friend.
Cecilia   Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:34 am GMT
But what is a relationship then????
Guest   Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:39 am GMT
It is surprising that there is such an expression considering that English already has the terms boyfriend, girlfriend which carry "friend" in them. As a non native English speaker I always considered that boyfriend or girlfriend were too frivolous terms to describe a serious relationship.
Guest   Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:16 am GMT
"But what is a relationship then????"

Well, there's no commitment if they're just a friend with benefits, for one thing.
Skippy   Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:08 am GMT
If someone is "in a relationship" that means (or is supposed to mean) that it's deep emotionally and intellectually with marriage being somewhere down the road (even if they're not thinking or talking about it explicitly). Boyfriends/girlfriends are "in a relationship."

"Friends with benefits" means that two people are just friends, there is no emotional attachment, and either one is able to back out whenever without having to "break up."

This is a simplified version, of course, but that's the basic description of the phrase.
Jon   Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:28 am GMT
Okay... seeing some serious confusion. Skippy's reply seems most accurate, though they leaves out the part about friends with benefits requiring sex (hence, the 'benefits' part).

(note singular 'they') :-D
Uriel   Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:41 pm GMT
<<As a non native English speaker I always considered that boyfriend or girlfriend were too frivolous terms to describe a serious relationship. >>

No, they're not considered frivolous terms. The only other terms are fiance, which requires that you have formally engaged to be married, or husband and wife, which require an actual marriage. So everyone else in a relationship would simply be boyfriend and girlfriend (regardless of age, by the way). You can fudge things and say "partner" or "significant other", but those are kind of generic, bloodless terms.

As for friends with benefits, Skippy put it perfectly -- people who are freinds and have a purely casual sexual arrangement without being boyfriend and girlfriend.
ck   Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:33 pm GMT
i like kissing friends. means that a boy and a girl can kiss without having a relationship, but sex not involve. sex is only in the bouderies of marriage.
Skippy   Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:06 pm GMT
That would still qualify as a "friend with benefits." The "benefits" are up to the discretions of those involved and if it's only kissing, then those are the benefits.
Guest   Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:49 am GMT
What about a boy and a boy kissing?
Guest   Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:33 am GMT
Oh, c'mon...
I'm always surprised you people don't have these expressions on your own native language!! Other than that, you just don't think before posting!

"friends with benefits", more than just friends but not a couple, a colourful friendship....
Skippy   Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:10 am GMT
Two boys can be friends with benefits as well... A boy and animal is, in the sense we are using in this thread, illegal in the US.
ck   Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 am GMT
i understand that this generation is open to sex. but morality shouldent still be compromised. sex is still for married couples only. it was designed to be in the bounderies of mariage. i still go for kissing friends and not be guilty of anything. maybe go deeper but intercource shouldnt be included
Guest   Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:48 am GMT
Hasn't the meaning already been covered?