Medieval or Mediaeval

JeLèK   Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:33 am GMT
Hello!

When writing, do you prefer "medieval" or "mediaeval"?

Thank you!

JeLèK
Marc   Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:35 pm GMT
Well, I think "Medieval" is generally the American English version and "mediaeval" is the British version. I tend to write "mediæval", but that's just me. I guess that's a non-standard form or something. I also usually write "economics" as "œconomics", etc.
Pub Lunch   Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:20 pm GMT
I always spell it mediaeval - but I think I am the only one!!! So I am not sure if it is an British English or American English difference. Medieval is certainly the most used spelling in England though.
Lazar   Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:13 pm GMT
Yeah, the Cambridge Online Dictionary gives both "medieval" and "mediaeval" without reference to national usage. "Medieval" is more common in the US though.
JeLèK   Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:08 am GMT
Thank you for your responses!

I think in both North America and British Isles "medieval" is more common.

@MarC
I didn't know that you can write economics as oeconomics.
But it's interesting to know that there are actually people who do prefer mediaeval -and oeconomics- when writing. =)
Jon   Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:06 am GMT
«Well, I think "Medieval" is generally the American English version and "mediaeval" is the British version. I tend to write "mediæval", but that's just me. I guess that's a non-standard form or something. I also usually write "economics" as "œconomics", etc.»

Do you also regularly use 'thou' and its variants?

It's Medieval here, Jelèk. No sense adding even one more unpronounced letter than there already is ;-)

Jon
Jon   Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:19 am GMT
«I think the ligatures look cool, but I can't be bothered to use them.»

I use fi fl ligatures, and I have my computer set up to automatically replace the single letters with the ligature. Also, setting your computer to International keyboard mode gives you access to the extra ligature æ (though œ seems nowhere to found, perhaps because it is useless?).

Of course... I can't see why anyone would actually use these things (æ, œ). I think long-s (ſ) is the bomb-diggidy, but that doeſn't mean I randomly inſert it in place of regular letters—oops.

Maybe some people just need to get with the times? ;)
Ian   Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:25 am GMT
<< I think long-s (ſ) is the bomb-diggidy, but that doeſn't mean I randomly inſert it in place of regular letters—oops. >>

i thought you can only use that letter in German. ??
Lazar   Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:57 am GMT
I find the æ and œ ligatures cool as well. On my Mac keyboard I can get æ by typing option+", and œ by typing option+q.

<<i thought you can only use that letter in German.>>

No, long s (which looks like an f without the horizontal bar) was used in many languages, such as English, in initial and medial position, although it's pretty much extinct now. The character that you're thinking of is ß - called Eszett or scharfes s - which is unique to German, and evolved from a ligature of long s and z.
Ian   Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:00 am GMT
<< No, long s (which looks like an f without the horizontal bar) was used in many languages, such as English, in initial and medial position, although it's pretty much extinct now. The character that you're thinking of is ß - called Eszett or scharfes s - which is unique to German, and evolved from a ligature of long s and z. >>

I really meant the long s which I sometimes read in old German texts. I've never encountered it in other languages.
Another interesting letter is the old German k, which looks like f.
Lazar   Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:50 am GMT
Anyway, the long s was definitely used in English. Here it is in the US Bill of Rights: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d0/Long_S_in_US_Bill_of_Rights.JPG - "Congreſs"; and here it is on the title page of Paradise Lost - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b8/Milton_paradise.jpg - "Paradiſe Loſt".
Lazar   Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:57 am GMT
And if anybody's familiar with The Vicar of Dibley, they did one scene where an inept reader runs into trouble with the word "ſuccour". :-)