Which way to go? Spanish, German, Dutch, Or Russian??

Guest   Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:38 am GMT
You may find Spanish boring because of its logical spellings and phonetics and you may want something more challenging.

German (challenge yourself)
Guest   Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:46 am GMT
Learn both Spanish and German.
Guest   Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:54 am GMT
I think that, among these 4 languages you referred to, "Dutch" would be the least important one, although it is also spoken by people outside of Nederland and Belgium. After all, English and German are both much more important than "Dutch" all over the world. And Russian would be the second useless one, although it is widely spoken in U.S.S.R.. And it would be of some help for you to choose German, because you would probably speak or write it with your family in Switzerland, even if you don't have a family there, German is still important and helpful, especially in Europe.
Guest   Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:37 am GMT
You may find Spanish boring because of its logical spellings and phonetics and you may want something more challenging

I don't think German spelling and phonetics are that hard for an English speaker. They're as logical and regular as the Spanish ones
Guest   Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:05 am GMT
I wouldn't recommend Dutch because in the few countries where Dutch is spoken you can either communicate in German+English (Netherlands) or French+English (Belgium)
Ian   Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:50 am GMT
Hi Alex!

If you want to learn Dutch, I'd advise you to learn German instead, because once you get a good grasp of German, it's easier to learn Dutch. But not the other way around, because German grammar is generally more complicated than Dutch.

And trust me, German will never be boring. ;-)
You might be discouraged learning it at some point, but not through boredom.
huesped   Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:54 pm GMT
<< Have you really no knowledge on languages?? Dutch is spoken by nearly 25 million people. Have you never heard of Suriname or Aruba, the official language is Dutch for both. Dutch is also the parent language of Afrikaans. The two languages are mutual intelligible and in case you didn't know it is spoken in South Africa and Namibia. Off course there are also sections in France and Germany where Dutch is spoken as well. So please don't question my intelligence Guest until you have done your research. Everyone else thank you again! >>

alex you kind of come off as a dick by your writing. Nobody was questioning your intelligence. If you are asking for advice don't be so condesending. Anyway the guest was just listing the MAIN places where Dutch is spoken. Aruba and Suriname for example are very very small with not a lot people.
Xie   Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:25 pm GMT
>>If you want to learn Dutch, I'd advise you to learn German instead, because once you get a good grasp of German, it's easier to learn Dutch. But not the other way around, because German grammar is generally more complicated than Dutch.

Some truth in it. I read Dutch grammar briefly, and guess what? Except the content words, many of which share the same cognates with German, I can almost see through many verb structures at once. It's kind of like German with every word spelt differently and with less complications.
Guest   Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:31 pm GMT
"and with less complications"

Sorry Xie but I've got a question. Is this sentence correct or it should be: with fewer complications? Are both correct?
Thanks
Guest   Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:16 pm GMT
It's really about priorities. Why do you want to learn another language? Practical use fun, or just for the heck of it?

Even then it's difficult. Because when you go for 'practical' many (especially on this forum) will shout 'Spanish', but what if you if your job doesn't take you to Spanish speaking countries (quite possible, as many are quite underdeveloped) but rather to Central Europe, then German/Russian would have been a better choice ...

But you know, Dutch definately has its charms. You're right, its sound has something that can't really be compared to anything else. I should warn you though, though native Dutch-speakers are quite numerous (and found nearly everywhere) a (good) teacher or course is hard to find.

Also though many claim Dutch is easier than German, it IS NOT. German grammar has a much more logical grammar, Dutch absolutely doesn't.

Dutch is the most exotic language of the lot. A fun language, with beautiful and abundant literature, a long history, something to entertain or surprise friends with and of course a key to many doors that would otherwise be kept closed in interesting countries. Learning a language itself has no cons.
Guest   Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:30 pm GMT
<<Even then it's difficult. Because when you go for 'practical' many (especially on this forum) will shout 'Spanish', but what if you if your job doesn't take you to Spanish speaking countries (quite possible, as many are quite underdeveloped) but rather to Central Europe, then German/Russian would have been a better choice ...>>

All the time the same song. It is true that Spanish is spoken in underdevloped countries, but Russia is not less underdeveloped than Chile and Argentina. And Spain is much more developed than Russia.
Guest   Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:57 pm GMT
The dutch grammar is piece of cake compared to the German one! Don't tell nonsense please
JLK   Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:53 am GMT
I'm surprised someone has impersonated me saying, "No other language besides Flemish is worth learning."

Seriously moving on, I recommend you learn German. Why?

1.) Family Connection: This really can be a motivator and a resource when learning a language.

2.) Set yourself apart. Most Anglophones study a Romance language(French or Spanish). Mastery of German will look more impressive on your application to Graduate school or job applications,etc...

3.) As a German speaker, you will be able to get the gist of spoken Dutch and should have little problem reading it. Within very little time, you can master the language if you so desire.
Guest   Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:45 am GMT
Занимайся русским. Я член русской мафии, и в настоящий момент мы ищем иностранцев, которые имеют говорить на русском для выполнения наших целей в разных иностранных странах. Мы надеемся, что тебя интересует эта великолпеная возможность.
Guest   Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:26 am GMT
<< All the time the same song. It is true that Spanish is spoken in underdevloped countries, but Russia is not less underdeveloped than Chile and Argentina. And Spain is much more developed than Russia. >>

I beg to disagree on this. Russia is far more developed than developed than Spain. Spain doesn't have the technology while Russia has. Spain relies from more technologically advanced countires to upgrade while Russia does not. Spain is not a manufacturing capacity is just based on light industries with no heavy industry. Maybe the correct term for this is Spain has a higher per capita income than Russia thanks to EU subsidies.