German and Arabic

Zuikis   Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:56 pm GMT
Is there a bigger difference between Standard and Swiss German or between Standard and Egyptian Arabic? If I learn Egyptian Arabic, will it be easy to understand Standard Arabic. I have been to Morocco and they understand Egyptian Arabic there, because they watch Egyptian movies and TV channels.
Guest   Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:58 pm GMT
What an interesting question! I was really fed up with Spanish and French
Marianne   Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:05 pm GMT
Learn French if you was to be understood both in Morocco and Egypt or Lebanon. Moroccoan Arabic and Egyptian Arabic are too different.
Guest   Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:44 pm GMT
I was sure that some stupid French or Spanish speaking people had something to say in this thread as well
Marianne   Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:53 pm GMT
Learn French if you *want* to be understood both in Morocco and Egypt or Lebanon. Moroccoan Arabic and Egyptian Arabic are too different.
alexandria   Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:10 am GMT
As far as Standard German and Swiss German go they are totally different. My Swiss relatives speak both, Swiss being their mother tongue. They always speak in Swiss German together unless they are in the company of Germans. However once outside of Switzerland they speak Standard German with the Germans or Austrians. Standard German speakers do not understand the Swiss version, maybe a few words here and there. However if you know Swiss German is will be easier to understand Standard. As far as Standard and Egyptian Arabic go I would guess they are very different as well. I would learn the standard form, just because you would be able to speak it in more countries. I have no idea which form of German or which form of Arabic is more compatible though. Good Luck! Of course I would say learn German, however if your travels are mainly Africa choose Arabic. Really I guess you should just pick what you like most. If you like it you will learn it better.
huesped   Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:30 am GMT
<< Egyptian Arabic is quite different from both Standard and Moroccan Arabic, but is widely understood, as you mentioned. Unfortunately, most people outside of Egypt can't speak Egyptian Arabic, just understand it. If you want to be able to understand people in Morocco, I think you'll have to learn Moroccan Arabic. >>

That's one reason that turned me off to Arabic. It is a good example of a large language that has split up in a sense. I think it's classified as a macro-language. Even the standard may not be so convenient. My Egyptian friends told me that they don't like to speak standard.

I happen to know people from various Arab coutries like Morocco, Egypt and Jordan, and whenever we are in a group they just use English with each other. I asked why and they it is difficult to understand each other. Thank god for English huh?

But are you planning on speading time in the Arab world? If not, go with German. Heck, English and French can get you by in a lot of Arab coutries anyway.
Travis   Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:43 am GMT
The main thing is that these days, most people in Germany, Austria, and German areas of Switzerland can both understand and speak some form of Standard German, Austrian Standard German and Swiss Standard German included. This is unlike the case with Arabic, where while most people probably can understand Modern Standard Arabic, many Arabic-speakers really cannot speak Modern Standard Arabic, or if they can, are not necessarily fluent in it.
Vytenis   Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:36 pm GMT
Thanks to all
I am learning Egyptian collocual Arabic bercause I often go to Egypt. I am not planning to learn Standard Arabic in the near furure, I was just wondering if I learn Egyptian Arabic, will I be able to understand Standard Arabic too or are they too different? I don't believe that people in the Arab countries cannot understand Standard Arabic and have to use English instead. Its just as silly as people from US, UK and Australia conversing in Latin or smth like that... After all, all the national press, radio and TV in Arab countries plus such broadly watched inter-arab TV stations as Al Jazeera and Al Arabyya broadcast in Standard Arabic.
Travis   Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:04 pm GMT
>>I don't believe that people in the Arab countries cannot understand Standard Arabic and have to use English instead. Its just as silly as people from US, UK and Australia conversing in Latin or smth like that... After all, all the national press, radio and TV in Arab countries plus such broadly watched inter-arab TV stations as Al Jazeera and Al Arabyya broadcast in Standard Arabic.<<

The impression I get at least is that Modern Standard Arabic is more widely understood than it is spoken *fluently*.
Vytenis   Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:28 pm GMT
>>>The impression I get at least is that Modern Standard Arabic is more widely understood than it is spoken *fluently*.

well, so for that matter is the Standard British English in the UK. In the places like Scotland, Ulster, Yorkshhire etc they may "understand" you, but they will answer with such a horrible local accent, that you will be unable to make head nor tale of what they say... Isn't that the same as with Arabic?
Travis   Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:14 pm GMT
>>>>The impression I get at least is that Modern Standard Arabic is more widely understood than it is spoken *fluently*.<<

well, so for that matter is the Standard British English in the UK. In the places like Scotland, Ulster, Yorkshhire etc they may "understand" you, but they will answer with such a horrible local accent, that you will be unable to make head nor tale of what they say... Isn't that the same as with Arabic?<<

Yes, except that Arabic "dialects" are much further apart than English English dialects, even though English English traditional dialects differ from each other and Standard British English far more than, say, North American English dialects and General American. Note that the same goes for Welsh English, Scottish English, and Irish English dialects and RP as well, even though they have the added influence from Welsh, Scots and Scottish Gaelic, and Irish (Gaelic) respectively. Arabic "dialects" are more akin to Romance languages in the overall distance between them than, say, English English dialects.

(Note that even though you mention Scotland, I am not taking Scots dialects into account here, as I consider Scots to be an Anglic language separate from English than merely a set of English dialects. They differ from Scottish English in that Scottish English is descended from northern English English with Scots influence in varying quantites, and is not genetically descended from what is known as Middle Scots.)
Vytenis   Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:03 pm GMT
Is there a clear line where the "scottish English" finishes and "scots" begins or vice versa? I think there is a continnuum. The people in Scotland speak varying degrees of Scots-ized English language (depending on geography, education, social situations etc.) rather than are distinctly divided between "speakers of scots" and "speakers of English". Or am I mistaken? This must be the situation with Arabic: in Egyopt the educated speakers constantly code switch between Fosha (Standard Arabic) and Masri (Egyptian Arabic). Of for that matter in Tunisia or Morocco they constantly code switch between Arabic and French... Just listen for some Moroccan rappers for example...
Guest   Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:09 pm GMT
Which is the muslim country where French is most used? I believe that it's Tunisia, what do you think? Will Arabic ever dissapear in this country?
Guest   Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:21 pm GMT
Arabic will dissapear in your dreams!