handsome girl

parazoa   Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:21 am GMT
is it not appropriate to say that?
but then how come you can say pretty boy but not handsome girl?
Guest   Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:59 am GMT
You can say handsome girl.
Guest   Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:34 am GMT
"My wife is as handsome as when she was a girl, and I...fell in love with her; and what is more, I have never fallen out." -- Abraham Lincoln
Humble   Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:50 am GMT
Usually it's only said abt elderly ladies, AFAIK.
Guest   Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:23 am GMT
You can say it about anyone, what is stopping you? I just said it now to my daughter "you are a handsome girl", and nothing strange happened. My head didn't explode and the police haven't arrived yet. So it seems you CAN say "handsome girl".
Cassis   Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:21 pm GMT
When you're describing a woman as handsome it usually implies that she's stylish or looking dapper.
Guest   Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:00 am GMT
I thought that only men can be handsome. Women are pretty or beautiful.
Guest   Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:26 pm GMT
can't men be pretty or beautiful??
Guest   Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:37 pm GMT
No.
furrykef   Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:38 pm GMT
There is the phrase "pretty boy", but it has a rather specific and often negative connotation that is hard to describe. One possible meaning is an effeminate male, but the phrase doesn't necessarily imply that the person in question is gay or a transvestite.
Guest   Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:46 pm GMT
True men are handsome, no "pretty" or "beautiful".
Guest   Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:07 pm GMT
why not? I've always said that.
When a man is really nice, he is beautiful!
Beauty #2   Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:06 pm GMT
Usually, a woman who is described as "handsome" is one who is attractive but not a classic beauty (i.e. soft, delicate features, whatever conventions of beauty your society holds, etc.). Her facial features are somewhat ordinary, but her beauty lies in how well she puts herself together, her poise, style, and manner.

A "pretty boy" is a guy who is attractive but in a feminized sort of way. He's not necessarily effeminate, but his facial features are somewhat feminine (as opposed to the square-jawed, cleft-chinned, chiseled ideal of masculine beauty). Another definition of "pretty boy" (one used in a negative sort of way) is a guy who is so obsessed with his looks that he probably goes to the gym 5 times a week, uses lots of creams and gels to keep his skin and hair healthy and supple, goes to the salon regularly to get facial treatments, eyebrows waxed, back hair removed, pubes neatly trimmed, and buys his wardrobe from D&G, Hugo Boss or Abercrombie & Fitch.
Beauty n.3   Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:26 pm GMT
Another definition of "pretty boy" (one used in a negative sort of way) is a guy who is so obsessed with his looks that he probably goes to the gym 5 times a week, uses lots of creams and gels to keep his skin and hair healthy and supple, goes to the salon regularly to get facial treatments, eyebrows waxed, back hair removed, pubes neatly trimmed, and buys his wardrobe from D&G, Hugo Boss or Abercrombie & Fitch.

You mean true men, this is the man I like. Everybody doing the contrary is a sauvage
O'Bruadair   Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:38 am GMT
"My wife is as handsome as when she was a girl, and I...fell in love with her; and what is more, I have never fallen out." -- Abraham Lincoln

Yeah, but then Lincoln was gay (at least according to the "Log Cabin Republicans") and beside him ANYBODY would be "handsome".