Languages and Jobs

Malik Kabir   Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:05 am GMT
Hello, I was wondering what kinds of jobs(preferably ones with a good-high-paying salary) that involve knowing multiple languages. All I know of so far is something involving business, but I wanted to broaden my perspectives a bit. Thanks in advance!:)
Heehee   Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:52 pm GMT
Um.... jobs that involve multiple languages...

All jobs in Hong Kong?? lol :-p
Yep... English, Cantonese, and Mandarin all required, and if you're in an area with lots of tourists, a little Japanese wouldn't be bad either ^.~

High-paying salary in Hong Kong...
hmm... Tour guide, insurance agent (yep... they have to deal with lots of expatriates in HK), hotel manager, public relations manager of any company, doctor, hospital worker (well, they have patients of many nationalities)...

Pretty much every single job that gives a decent salary in Hong Kong requires a good command of English, Cantonese, and Mandarin!

On the lower salary end, I'm sure tons of expatriates in Hong Kong would appreciate some multilingual taxi drivers ^.~
Heehee   Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:56 pm GMT
On hospital workers...

Actually, hospital workers in many places need to be multilingual. I lived in the US for some time and did some voluntary work at a hospital... they needed lots of multilingual nurses and doctors there because they had so many Hispanic and Asian patients!! Oh, and even though I was only a volunteer, I was the official Chinese translator there, lol ^^

One important occupation I forgot to mention...
Courtroom/legal translators.