English is the most suitable language for singing songs?

Pedro   Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:56 am GMT
Do you think English is the most suitable language for singing songs, particularly in relation to pop music?
Guest   Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:26 pm GMT
Yes, but only for modern pop music. Music such as opera is saved for Romance and Slavic languages.
Guest   Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:32 pm GMT
English is the most suitable language for Rap and hip-hop.
Guest   Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:23 pm GMT
NO
Guest   Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:46 pm GMT
Milton   Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:17 pm GMT
Yes, because you can say many things with a few words
(and 80 % of English words are monosyllabic )
No   Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:48 pm GMT
80 % of English words are monosyllabic

that's why it is anti-musical!!!!
Skippy   Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:01 am GMT
Actually English is one of the most difficult languages to rhyme. If you're doing opera you want to stick to Italian and German. As far as modern pop music, most of it's even English... even German groups like Yoomiii or Polish groups like Blog 27... English...
Pedro   Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:42 am GMT
I 'm given the impression that English is the most favored language for music from my movie viewing experience. In the many movies from non-English-speaking countries I've watched, I've noticed that English songs always tend to be played as a sort of backgroud music when the language used throughout the movie is anything but English.
furrykef   Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:06 am GMT
I have no opinion on whether or not English makes for better songs... for me it depends entirely on the song. But I notice that English's syllable structure tends to make it easier to squeeze more thoughts into fewer syllables than languages like Spanish, which tend to need more syllables (though not necessarily phonemes) to express the same thoughts. German probably has the same characteristic, and possibly Latin (if you ignore vowel length), since it has no articles and uses prepositions infrequently.

- Kef
Guest   Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:32 am GMT
That;s ridiculus that English is better for songs! Is English better for talking about the weather? Is English better for discussing politics? NO! Singing is common to all peoples and all are perfect to it in their own style. Certainly, some language may be better for a certain TYPE of music, but only for historical reasons (ie, imagine Tango in Russian, or a Haka in Spanish), and also it is too vague "better".