Shall

Guest   Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:55 pm GMT
Does anyone still use shall to form the future tense. Ex. I shall go to the theatre or we shall play tennis
JLK   Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:00 pm GMT
I do sometimes, but only to be amusing.
greg   Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:33 pm GMT
Sujet relevant de la section monolingue.
JLK   Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:02 pm GMT
All sections are monolingue.
Colette von Hessen   Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:07 pm GMT
Yes, they're called Brits. But not the younger ones, mostly. Technically speaking, you are supposed to use "shall" in the first person singular or plural. It is not very common at all in spoken language, but in written language you see it from time to time when the writer is trying to use proper English (in both North American and British English).

Colette
Guest   Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:42 pm GMT
Greg can't you even write a simple sentence in English? Tu es tout à fait nul et un peu ridicule à mon avis!
guest   Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:45 pm GMT
<<Greg can't you even write a simple sentence in English? Tu es tout à fait nul et un peu ridicule à mon avis! >>

I've seen him text in English...ONCE. Just once.

(under the name of "greg" that is : )
Guest   Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:14 pm GMT
It should be said that Greg speaks perfect English. I read him in another forum whose name I will not tell (itwas created by a few Antimooners), and here he writes in English. He simple does not want to use English here.
guest   Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:19 pm GMT
<<It should be said that Greg speaks perfect English. I read him in another forum whose name I will not tell (itwas created by a few Antimooners), and here he writes in English. He simple does not want to use English here. >>

(sigh) Yes, we all know that [by now]...

I even suspect him of being:

1). A moderator
2). The Administrator of Antimoon's website
3). Jon
4). A run of the mill white-guy from either Canada or the US
Guest   Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:21 pm GMT
From now on I shall always use "shall" to form the future tense in the first singular or plural
guest   Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:29 pm GMT
<<From now on I shall always use "shall" to form the future tense in the first singular or plural >>

I wouldn't...you would sound extremely old-fashioned, and old-fashioned British at that.

"Shall" connotates compulsion or force in most current uses.

In others, like "What shall we do now?"/"Shall I help out?", where obligation is implied, it's fine. As a direct future tense marker for first singular & first plural, it sounds odd.
Guest   Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:12 pm GMT
I agree with guest:

"Shall" connotates compulsion or force in most current uses.

Many Americans use the word shall in this same way including myself:

Shall I cook dinner or do you want to go out?
Shall we go to the movies or stay home?
You shall do your homework or there will be no videogames for a week.....
Guest   Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:18 pm GMT
Is it correct to say instead : Should I cook dinner or do you want to go out?
John   Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:50 pm GMT
"Is it correct to say instead : Should I cook dinner or do you want to go out? "

Both would work but I think "Shall I cook dinner or do you want to go out?" implies something like "Do you want me to cook dinner or do you want to go out?"

In other words, "shall I" is a polite way of asking "Do you want me to?"
Travis   Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:11 pm GMT
>>Both would work but I think "Shall I cook dinner or do you want to go out?" implies something like "Do you want me to cook dinner or do you want to go out?"

In other words, "shall I" is a polite way of asking "Do you want me to?"<<

In at least North American English, and I also suspect present-day English English, saying "shall I" is very polite and formal and almost waxes poetic a bit. In most polite formal speech here in Wisconsin, most middle-aged and older people would probably say "may I" rather than "shall I", while most younger people would probably normally say "should I" unless they are trying to be very polite.