weep, cry, tear

Humble   Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:37 pm GMT
Please, which do you find better?

1.When the girls learned their idol was getting married they wept.
2.When the girls learned their idol was getting married they cried.

3. I tore the letter to minute pieces.
4. I tore the letter into small pieces.

Thank you.
guest   Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:45 pm GMT
for the context, I'd say
2.When the girls learned their idol was getting married they cried.
was more fitting. However, weep and cry do not necessarily mean the exact same thing--the girls could have wept instead of crying.

This
4. I tore the letter into small pieces.
is better.
Humble   Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:47 am GMT
The girls could have wept instead of crying?

What’s the difference, then?
weep - to shed tears as an expression of grief or unhappiness
cry - to utter inarticulate sounds, esp when weeping; sob
to shed tears; weep
John   Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:06 pm GMT
Too weep is more emotional. Children "cry" for many reason, but an adult would "weep" at a funeral or a wedding.

But by and large the two words are often, but not always, synominous.
Uriel   Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:07 pm GMT
Weep is a more old-fashioned word -- you would mostly hear about "crying' today. And I don't think of them as having any realy semantic difference, personally.
Uriel   Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:08 pm GMT
Ignore that silly y on the end of "real"!
Guest   Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:51 pm GMT
I think there is a semantic difference. You could say that someone wept at a funeral, for example, but it would be unusual to say that a baby is weeping rather than crying.
Uriel   Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:15 pm GMT
But I don't think most of us picture a different action when we hear "weeping" vs "crying". It's still all fluid leaking from the eyes with signs of respiratory distress, heaving shoulders, etc. One might sound more poetic, but that's about it. For a true semantic difference, I might think more along the lines of "sobbing" versus "tearing up".
Humble   Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:27 am GMT
Then, do you all agree “When the girls learned their idol was getting married they wept” sounds unnatural ?
Rick   Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:22 pm GMT
Finders keepers, losers weepers.
Rick   Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:28 pm GMT
<<3. I tore the letter to minute pieces.
4. I tore the letter into small pieces.>>

Both are correct, however "minute" is a more obscure word. You'd mostly hear "small" used in this context.
guest   Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:13 pm GMT
"Weeping" simply means "fluid is being released/leaked/emitted"
as tears from one's eyes, or fluids from a sore, etc. No emotion has to be involved.

"Crying" is an emotional response, and doesn't necessarily mean that any fluids/tears are being shed. It's just an outburst of emotion (but *can* involve tears, naturally).

The use of Weeping for Crying like a baby (whining and shedding tears) is old fashioned, but Weep in other senses is not. One can Weep at grief--but ONLY if tears are dropped. Otherwise, it's sobbing.

So the girls "weeping" because their idol got married is odd, but not beyond reason, if that's what you really mean (if it was solemn). But I would use "cried".
Humble   Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:02 am GMT
Thank you all very much.