LL and Y distinction

Guest   Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:06 pm GMT
Do you think that it's useful to distinguish LL and Y in order to not make mistakes at writing? Some mistakes induced by yeismo are : yuvia, caye, llegua...
furrykef   Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:02 pm GMT
I don't. I never confuse ll and y in writing, even though I pronounce them identically. Of course, pretty much all my actual usage of Spanish is written, not spoken, so that may not seem surprising. Still, I think it's a good habit to always consult a dictionary if you feel the slightest doubt about spelling while writing; it'll definitely help ingrain the correct spelling in your head. This is necessary much less often in Spanish than in English, of course.

- Kef
Guest   Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:30 pm GMT
Que burros son los castellanos hablantes, no logran distinguir entre LL y Y o c z al escribir. Si tuviesen un idioma mas complejo probablemente se volverian locos por completo. Necesitan una reforma de la ortografia solo por esas pocas letras homofonas. Me muero de risas...
Guest   Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:34 pm GMT
In Spain I don't see as many spelling mistakes. But when I chat with Hispanics they tend to make mistakes such as: corasón*, sielo*, halla*...

Note that halla also exists, but I refer to the verb haber, not hallar.
furrykef   Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:41 pm GMT
Well, I think the reason why so many people make spelling mistakes in Spanish is that it's so phonetic that many don't bother to learn the exceptions to the rules. In English, exceptions are the norm, so there's a much greater emphasis on spelling. Of course, there are also plenty of people who don't bother spelling correctly in English either...

Also, some people think certain spelling mistakes are just cool or something... I often see "bueno" spelled "weno" online, which is clearly a slang spelling. And, let's face it, spelling correctly is something you're "supposed" to do, and nothing that somebody else tells you to do is ever cool.

- Kef
Guest   Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:50 pm GMT
Wrong spelling can be dued to plain ignorance or to the intention of sounding cool. Probably people who write weno* know well that the proper spelling is bueno.
Guest   Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:57 pm GMT
I've never seen that weno but it really sounds weird
Guest   Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:10 pm GMT
Weno* sounds like "gueno". You can also see webo* instead of huevo. This spelling tries to reflect a relaxed pronunciation people use in certain situations. For example, people tend to pronounce huevo like "guevo" when swearing : No me toques los webos*! or Me importa un webo*! The reason why the letter W is used in these words is an English influence, I guess. Webo* looks cooler than guevo* in some way.
Guest   Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:18 pm GMT
Also , it should be noted that huevo and its relaxed counterparts guevo/webo are very productive in Spanish swearing:

No me toques los huevos!
Estoy hasta los huevos!
Me importa un huevo!

And so on. There are dozens of examples.
Guest   Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:21 pm GMT
My bad, I forgot adding diaeresis to guevo. It's güevo.
Guest   Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:32 pm GMT
Weno / Bueno / Güeno sound a bit different.

BTW "Bueno" means good, just so you know.
Guest   Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:34 pm GMT
Weno is a pretended "cool" spelling of Güeno.
Guest   Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:43 pm GMT
Why do you delete all German posts? This is disgusting
Guest   Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:46 pm GMT
Because it was not related to LL/Y or other Spanish things, I guess.
Guest   Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:13 pm GMT
LL sound adios