English phonology

Lo   Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:05 am GMT
I have /kE@t¬/ for cat.
guest   Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:28 pm GMT
<<I have /kE@t¬/ for cat. >>

Yes, I said "long" but open and even broken as you have cited above also count. I realized that shortly after posting. My main thrust was that it was not actually being pronounced short. That's all.
Travis   Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:33 pm GMT
>>>>
So when an American says "cat" he's really pronouncing it with a long vowel ("kææt"), while a New Zealander says it with a short 'a' ("kæt"), and that this is the distinction with 'e'. <<

I thought that North American dialects generally have allophonic vowel length.<<

Yes, even though not all NAE dialects, such as Lazar's and Makerowner's, have pure allophonic vowel length.

But yes, the above does not really make sense in the context of NAE dialects such as my own which have pure allophonic vowel length, with no real vestigial length difference between tense and lax vowels.
Taco Chihuahua   Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:34 am GMT
Hello, I'm a Mexican. I say cat as in cot and cut. Three vowels are almost pronounced the same. That's why when I speak only few guys understand me. I offend people saying beach instead of bitch and I have a fool box, not a full box.

So I think this is why English is the easiest language to speak badly.
guest   Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:18 pm GMT
<<I offend people saying beach instead of bitch >>

I think you mean the other way around? "bitch" for "beach" as in: "I'm new to California and I'm going to see your bitch, Man!"
El Conquistador   Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:44 pm GMT
What do you think about this revealed diphthong in the short i sound that most people say without care?

beach (bi:ch) why? ee
bitch (bich) why? 'ee-eh as in ih but 'ee is treated almost silent. This is why many guys say pen for pin, because they don't do too much difference on purpose.
Guest   Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:11 am GMT
What sounds in English phonology are generally considered difficult for non-native speakers of languages like Spanish, Italian, or French? And what about for German or Dutch?

For the same reason Spanish, Italian, or French phonology is considered difficult for non-native speakers of languages like English.
Don't you think is an idiot question?
Guest   Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:36 am GMT
For the same reason Spanish, Italian, or French phonology is considered difficult for non-native speakers of languages like English.
Don't you think is an idiot question?

I think you're the idiot and you don't properly understand the question because the reply you gave does not come close to answering the question.