Reflexive Pronouns Are Crazy!

El Conquistador   Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:53 am GMT
Myself, yourself, herself, ourselves, and yourselves are good but himself, itself and themselves seem wrong instead of hisself, itsself and theirselves.

In the old origin the reflexive pronouns were "my self", your self, his self, her self, our selves, your selves, their selves.

I don't want to change the EnGlIsH but I RECOGNIZE ITS COMPLEXITIES.

Let me not say what I think should be. Hush, sh, sh, sh! They always win and attack me.
El Conquistador   Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:55 am GMT
I missed "its self", sorry!
El Conquistador   Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:10 am GMT
Some people don't rhyme hours with ours but r's with ours.

Arrrzzz! Viva el Castellano simple y bonito.
Guest   Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:17 am GMT
I don't think they're crazy at all, get over yourself.
haha
El Conquistador   Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:18 am GMT
Your horse is with some whores.

YOR HORSS IZ WITH SUM HORS. ZZZZ

Get over something with respect and justice for all.
El Conquistador   Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:26 am GMT
What do you mean they're not crazy at all? For example, when something is wrong in your family, it affects everybody as in yours.

I'm not mad because I'm not crazy or angry.
furrykef   Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:04 am GMT
Reflexive pronouns are a lot crazier in Spanish, and probably other Romance languages as well. The forms are more straightforward (the same as the object pronoun except in the third person and formal second person, in which case you use "se" instead), but they have many more uses that can sometimes get confusing. In Spanish, using a reflexive pronoun often changes the meaning of a verb in a way that has nothing to do with reflection.

- Kef
El Conquistador   Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:12 pm GMT
I just do understand your insult to me. So I guess you try to contradict me without any reason and truth stated by you.

In this absurd message:

<< Reflexive pronouns are a lot crazier in Spanish, and probably other Romance languages as well. The forms are more straightforward (the same as the object pronoun except in the third person and formal second person, in which case you use "se" instead), but they have many more uses that can sometimes get confusing. In Spanish, using a reflexive pronoun often changes the meaning of a verb in a way that has nothing to do with reflection. >>

I just don't know what are you writing about specifically.

I don't see anything wrong in Spanish Reflexive Pronouns.
Yo mismo, usted mismo o misma (tú mismo), él mismo, ella misma, ello mismo, nosotros/-as mismos/-as, ustedes mismos/-as (vosotros/-as mismos/-as, ellos mismos, ellas mismas.

Ironically many people think English is the easiest language in the Earth but in fact, it is the most important one for international social economy or businesses.
El Conquistador   Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:14 pm GMT
(tú mismo, M) or (tú misma, F)
furrykef   Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:37 pm GMT
I was talking about "se", not the "[pronoun] mismo" construction. For example, each "se" in the following sentence functions differently: "Se dice que él se levantó y se fue." English has nothing like that.
Guest   Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:21 pm GMT
Which se are you talking about ? There are three se in that sentence. English has reflexive pronouns which may not be reflexive as well:
"I did it by myself". Myself is not reflexive here.
furrykef   Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:06 pm GMT
<< Which se are you talking about ? There are three se in that sentence. >>

I was talking about all of them. Each one is used differently. The first one is used impersonally or passively; the second one is truly reflexive; the third one changes the meaning of "ir" from "go" to "go away".

<< "I did it by myself". Myself is not reflexive here. >>

Fair enough, but I don't think that's as confusing as the multiple meanings of the reflexive in Spanish.
Guest   Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:17 pm GMT
There are a few pronouns se, not all of them are reflexive. Se is a reflexive pronoun if you can add a si mismo or a si mismos. Se fue a si mismo is meaningless, so It's not reflexive in this case. I don't see that crazyness. There are simply several se. I must recognize that Se is one of the most difficult things in Spanish, indeed I don't remember it perfectly well, and I'm a native speaker.
El Conquistador   Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:51 am GMT
The third person reflexive pronoun "Se" is a very used optional one. This one is not crazier than in English. Thus we express in shorter forms. I prefer More "se, nos, and os in Spanish than -self in English. In Spanish they look less absurd in most cases.
Guest   Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:07 am GMT
Your English is bad. What are you trying to say?