Use of the word "momentarily"

Rick Johnson   Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:54 pm GMT
I was just watching something on TV and it occurred to me that the word "momentarily" might be used in a different way in the US from the UK.

The meaning seemed to be "in a moment" whereas I would always use it to mean "for a moment" e.g. "I stopped momentarily" compared with "he will be here momentarily".

How do you use the word?
Guest   Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:01 pm GMT
Both ways.
Operator   Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:10 pm GMT
Yeah, I keep hearing about this. The original meaning of momentarily is "for a moment". That's the way that older speakers use it exclusively in the US. However, it's also evolved into "in a moment". So, "Thanks for calling. Our operator will be with you momentarily." means that the operator will answer in a moment, and not for a moment.
Jasper   Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:30 am GMT
Rick, you're exactly correct.

Anecdote:

American pilot announced,"We will be landing at Denver momentarily." The American passengers quietly put their newspapers away, while the British passengers got visibly worried looks on their faces.
Rick Johnson   Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:45 pm GMT
<<American pilot announced,"We will be landing at Denver momentarily." The American passengers quietly put their newspapers away, while the British passengers got visibly worried looks on their faces.>>

LOL