strongest foreign accents

Guest   Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:49 pm GMT
In French it's English, Englishmen have the tickest accent especially when they speak broken French
Guest   Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:53 pm GMT
In Spanish it's English as well
furrykef   Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:54 pm GMT
Spanish speakers can certainly have thick accents... I have a Puerto Rican neighbor and I often can't understand her whether she's speaking English or Spanish. (My Spanish listening comprehension is terrible, so that's to be expected.) But I do believe that Spanish speakers will find it easier to reduce the thickness of their accent than speakers of many other languages, because Spanish phonology is fairly close to that of English... whereas the phonologies of languages like Arabic, Indian, Chinese, and Japanese are very different.

French does have a fairly different phonology, but French accents are much more familiar to English speakers, so they tend to be easier to understand. Since difficulty of comprehension can be used as a measure of "thickness", some might classify French accents as less "thick" than other, more "exotic" accents for that reason.

- Kef
`~`JLK`~`   Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:05 pm GMT
For English, I would have to agree that Spanish speakers have the heaviest accents. Sometimes, I think they're speaking Spanish when they're not.

Бы тхе ваы, тхис ис мы нев ницк наме. Со, иф ёу сее анёне постинг ундер ьЖЛКь ёу вилл кнов итьс нот ме. И хопе тхе импостор(с) аре ас думб ас И тхинк тхеы аре. ИЙм вритинг тхис мессаге ин Цыриллиц жуст то бе сафе.
Guest   Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:28 pm GMT
Odd. It's the same for the English speakers, because of their very heavy accents it's difficult to understand when they are speaking English and when they are not
K. T.   Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:28 pm GMT
I don't think Spanish accents are the "thickest" in English. How many foreigners have you heard speaking English recently? I hear them quite often. The hardest accent for me to understand is a Korean one. This doesn't mean that all Koreans have thick accents, only that it is the toughest for me to decipher.

Maybe if I had more experience with Korean, I would be able to piece together what sounds in English were being attempted. I do plan to learn Korean and I feel bad that I have trouble understanding some Koreans. I don't mock them, though.
Guest   Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:47 pm GMT
My parrot has less accent than English speakers.
Guest   Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:50 pm GMT
My parrot has less accent than English speakers.

Good joke!

It's true, in my language as well
K. T.   Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:14 pm GMT
Kef,
Why are you still struggling with listening comprehension? Are you just being modest? Have you tried Podcasts? There is one called Notes from Spain or something like that and it's in both Spanish and English. Check out Podcast Alley and download some programs if you have an MP3 player.

It seems like you are coming along nicely with your Spanish here and you get feedback as needed, so I don't think you should be struggling with comprehension for long if you are listening regularly.
John   Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:37 am GMT
Russian people have very nice accent when speaking english :) I love Russian languge! :)
Guest   Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:22 pm GMT
Russian people do have a very thick accent
Guest   Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:03 pm GMT
German people have the heaviest accent, they seem to shout orders in every language
Guest   Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:21 pm GMT
Your mom is heavy. I could hardly turn her around before I fucked her hairy asshole.
Guest   Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:01 pm GMT
I'd say American English.
furrykef   Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:29 pm GMT
<< Why are you still struggling with listening comprehension? Are you just being modest? >>

I wish I were. ;) I do probably display false modesty at times, but this isn't one of them. I really cannot understand most things I try to watch on TV in Spanish. I can usually catch words here and there, but it's difficult for me to make out complete sentences. As you might guess, I don't practice listening very often. It's mostly because I have nothing I really want to listen to. Usually, if I wouldn't want to listen to it in English, I don't want to listen to it in Spanish, either. ;)

In the written language, I'm much more able but it really depends on what I'm reading. I can read a collection of Condorito comic strips quite well even without a dictionary. I won't understand every one of them, but a good majority will be comprehensible and I'll probably get an idea of what the rest are about. But if I try to read El Hobbit, I can't get past the first page -- not if I want complete comprehension rather than the gist of it. (I hate reading/listening with the aim of catching only the gist of it. Vague comprehension isn't really comprehension if you ask me.)

- Kef