Pronouncation of "talk"

pbpjr246   Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:23 pm GMT
Do most Americans pronounce the l in the word talk or is that a regional thing?
Lazar   Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:38 pm GMT
I think some people do pronounce an /l/ there, but generally, no. The /l/-less pronunciation is standard and predominant.
Guest   Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:31 pm GMT
Why then not rid of the focking L. That's why I never liked taking Eng classes. What a messed up language we have, and everyone is doing nothing. That's why I'm going for Italian.
Brian   Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:46 am GMT
I have never heard anybody from any accent pronounce the L in talk.
lol   Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:52 am GMT
<<Why then not rid of the focking L. That's why I never liked taking Eng classes. What a messed up language we have, and everyone is doing nothing. That's why I'm going for Italian. >>

I totally agree that the English language is so messed up.
By the way you're so funny...
Guy   Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:55 am GMT
Guest,

Go ahead and go for Italian, nobody's stopping u;)
nick   Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:32 pm GMT
Try Chinese, man, I think u will love English again. :)
Milton   Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:58 am GMT
Some southern and backeast accents have /to:k/ (or even /toUk/) instead of /tA:k, tQ:k/ which some people may hear as L-vocalization /toLk, touK/
Earle   Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:45 pm GMT
Some southern dialects do indeed pronounce the "l" in talk. That doesn't mean you don't filter it out, if you can't pronounce it yourself. I've used this example before: in a linguistics class in college, I had a professor from south Alabama. He insisted that, in pronouncing the fraction "eighths," one must leave off the "th" or the "s." (Same for any other fraction ending in "th".) I raised my hand and said I pronounced both. He listened carefully, but he couldn't hear it. He was listening through his own filter...
El Conquistador   Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:03 am GMT
Many Americans think that the a in "talk" sounds ah instead of aw as in warm.

It's realistic to think an a is in but aw is the sound, really. The problem is that they expect aw with r only as in fork or war.

If British people said r without a vowel after as in car and center, their accents would be better comprehended. The cultivated pronunciation isn't always precise with the grammar but grammarians try to mend those mistakes.

Brits can't claim aw instead of ah when Americans pronounce so, because Brits ignore the r in many words.

When I was learning English, words like "doubt and dumb" were not matching the best from my accent.

I didn't know before that "doubt was pronounced as if it were "dout" and "dumb" as "dum". The loss of s in island was also weird for me.

Now I accept whatever this language has because this is my mother language to support a new spelling for it instead of the nonsensical one that is already messed up.

Teach should say - follow the dictionary spelling, not the rules. What rule?
Guest   Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:19 am GMT
I can't understand your English.
Travis   Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:06 am GMT
The problem is that trying to get English-speakers to accept a new orthography is easier said than done. It would be a miracle if they accepted *any* new orthography of any sort at all, much the less a new orthography that really would fit English as a whole.
El Conquistador   Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:36 am GMT
I speak English eventually. The Spanish was left behind but I still speak it. If any spelling reform is considered to solve pronunciation confusions, then it's approved from me. I'm agreed with it.

Some illegal immigrants who almost were born in the exile, can say that their native language is the English if imposed instead of the one learned before.

I try to make all word distinctions that I can.
flour and flower
(flAUr ; flAUer)

fit and feet
(fi:et merging into fiht, not fet ; fi:t)

Pin and pen must not rhyme for those ignorant people.
Guest   Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:02 am GMT
''Many Americans think that the a in "talk" sounds ah instead of aw as in warm. ''

It's called COT CAUGHT MERGER
aw and ah are merged in both perception and production
---
I guess 50% of Americans are (fully) merged & partially merged (near merger, merged only in perception or/production...)...Midwest is now the greatest partially merged region...
Guest   Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:27 am GMT
''I try to make all word distinctions that I can. ''
Then, you must sound very archaic ;)
Do you have WHICH / WITCH distinction as well?