Not a "consult a dictionary" thread

abc   Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:49 am GMT
"Having waited so long, Colonel Qaddafi seemed determined to spare no offense."

1) Is the "L" pronounced in the word "colonel?"
2) What does the phrase "spare no offense" mean?
furrykef   Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:33 pm GMT
1) Nope. "Colonel" is a homophone of "kernel", at least in U.S. English. (The "L" is never pronounced in other dialects either; it's just that I don't know if it'd be pronounced with the same vowel in the first syllable in all of them.)

2) Hmm. I haven't heard this expression before. It sounds like "spare no expense" and might be a play on that expression. "We spared no expenses" (or "no expense"; it could be said either way) means that a lot of money was invested -- that is, all possible expenses were made; they didn't restrain themselves from making purchases or whatever in order to accomplish their task, the implication being that the job was done with the very highest quality. Similarly, I would take "Qaddafi spared no offense" to mean that Qaddafi planned every sort of attack possible.

- Kef
Guest   Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:15 pm GMT
2) could also mean that Qaddafi tried to be as offensive as possible verbally (at the U.N., for example), rather than launch all sorts of attacks.
Lazar   Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:58 pm GMT
Hmm, how would a Scot pronounce "colonel"?
El Conquistador   Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:25 pm GMT
I don't care that many words are homonyms but I hate homophones which words don't rhyme or have nothing to deal with the spelling.

colonel kernel
quay key
furrykef   Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:52 am GMT
<< 2) could also mean that Qaddafi tried to be as offensive as possible verbally (at the U.N., for example), rather than launch all sorts of attacks. >>

True. I'm not sure why that didn't occur to me.

<< quay key >>

Whoa, I didn't know that "quay" is pronounced "key". But I looked it up and you're right (although the dictionary lists "kay" and "kway" as well). It's a word that I've only ever seen in writing and never had to say myself. You learn something new every day...

- Kef
abc   Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:21 pm GMT
thanks Kef. I've always had a difficult time with the pronunciation of "colonel"
El Conquistador   Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:37 am GMT
Kernel for colonel is closer for coronel in Spanish because of the r.
Lazar   Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:17 pm GMT
Off topic, I know, but where did that thread go with the German person from Heidelberg trying to learn American English? I put a fair bit of effort into my reply.
El Conquistador   Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:00 pm GMT
It's convenient not to debate some spelling reform. That's why mine was deleted.
furrykef   Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:56 pm GMT
<< English might have a new good spelling but native English speakers don't support that reform coming from a foreign learner or speaker. >>

Native English speakers generally don't support reform at all.

<< To learn Spanish is tough for English speakers. >>

I don't find it very difficult.

- Kef