Merry Christmas!!!

Guest   Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:00 am GMT
Aha, wait, I found it on wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_worldwide

"Christmas celebration in Russia is on the 7th of January (which corresponds to December 25 in the Julian Calendar)."

The Julian calendar was a reform of the Roman calendar, and that's why it doesn't match and it explains why the countries that adopted this Julian calendar celebrate Christmas on the 7th.
K. T.   Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:07 am GMT
The date has something to do with another calendar for Russians. Apparently they have some yummy food on this day too.

That cake I mentioned is actually a King Cake (no apostrophe and "s").
K. T.   Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:09 am GMT
Ah, your post just appeared and with more information. Good for you! I only have a vague understanding of these holidays as I don't celebrate them unless I am invited to a party.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:06 am GMT
Forget about Christmas now - it's all done and dusted for another year.

We in Scotland love Christmas as a general rule (including the religious aspect of it) but we love our Hogmanay even more. That's the New Year to the uninitiated. So much so in fact that we have to have an additional Bank Holiday added on to it - not only do we share with England and Wales the 01 January holiday but we have 02 January off as well - we need the recovery time after the largest street party in the whole word here in Auld Reekie (that's Edinburgh to the uninitiated).
El Conquistador   Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:27 am GMT
Why does Santa Claus give more gifts than the Three Wise Men every year?

I think they're in vacation and Santa has substituted them in modern pagan days.
El Conquistador   Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:30 am GMT
Santa's asking parents to invade in purchases to stores for their kids. In fact, he spends nothing but parents do a lot.