-ize for international English

Dan   Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:35 pm GMT
What kind of English should be used in an international context?

* Standard U.S. English (en-US)
en-US spellings: labor, center, traveling, program, aluminum and defense.
The spellings -ize and -yze are used: organize, analyze.

Examples of international use: en-US is predominantly used by the Bretton Woods Institutions (International Monetary Fund and the World Bank Group), the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), the NAFTA Secretaritat and the Organization of American States.

* Standard U.K. English (with -ise spellings, en-GB)
en-GB spellings: labour, centre, travelling, programme (computer program is an exception), aluminium and defence.
The spellings -ise and -yse are used: organise, analyse.

Examples of international use: en-GB is predominantly used by the European Union (EU), the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO), the Organisation of Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), the Commonwealth Secretariat of the Commonwealth of Nations, the International Olympic Committee, the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), Transparency International and Greenpeace.

* OED English (en-GB-oed):
en-GB-oed follows the first spelling variant presented in the Oxford English Dictionary (OED). The Oxford English Dictionary, published by the Oxford University Press, is widely regarded as the most authoritative English language dictionary. en-GB-oed is the registered IANA language tag for OED English.

en-GB-oed spellings: labour, centre, travelling, programme (computer program is an exception), aluminium and defence.
The spellings -ize and -yse and used: organize, analyse. The OED, contrary to common U.K. usage, prefers -ize spellings over -ise spellings. At first glance, en-GB-oed might seem to be a minor deviation from common U.K. spelling. However, words ending in -ize and -ization are very common: realize, organize, recognize, apologize, authorize, organization, civilization, generalization, globalization. Words like analyse and paralyse ending in -yse are not changed into analyze and paralyze, which are both U.S. spellings.

Examples of international use: en-GB-oed is used (predominantly) by the United Nations, the World Trade Organization (WTO), the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC), the International Telecommunication Union, the World Health Organization (WHO), the International Committee of the Red Cross, the International Labour Organization, the International Criminal Police Organization - Interpol, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation, the WWF - The Conservation Organization and Amnesty International.

Among these three standards, en-GB-oed appears to be most appropriate for international use. In cases where English is used in an international context, it might be good idea to consider using this standard, since en-GB-oed is not used by any government in any major English-speaking country, which gives it a more neutral flavour than en-US and en-UK or other national varieties.
en-US and en-GB are associated more closely with the United States and the United Kingdom respectively than en-GB-oed.

Using en-GB-oed is easy - if there are spelling variants for a given word, the variant listed first in the (Concise) Oxford English Dictionary is preferred. This convention explains the name of the "International Labour Organization" - "labour" instead of "labor" (en-US), "organization" instead of "organisation" (en-GB).
It should be noted, that the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), the international governing body for standardization, decided to use en-GB-oed exclusively in order to ensure clarity, neutrality and consistency in its English publications.
---

What do you think?
mandy   Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:57 pm GMT
suprise or suprize?
Kirk   Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:11 pm GMT
"-ize" spellings were originally British, and some British English speakers still prefer "-ize," so labeling them as American spellings is somewhat misleading, as American spelling for those words has simply carried on how British English used to spell them for centuries before making the relatively recent switch to "-ise."
Rick Johnson   Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:42 pm GMT
This is something I mentioned a few months ago. The original spelling was "ize" going back in some words going back to the 1300s in words such as authorize. It's commonly been used in books and major works of literature since Tudor/ Stewart times. Shakespeare, John Donne, King James Bible (1611) all use ize spellings for baptize, epitomize, bastardize and canonize amongst many others.

The majority of UK book publishers prefer "ize" (Oxford University Press, Penguin, Pan, Macmillan, Blackwells, Routledge, Doubleday, John Wiley and Sons + others). Cambridge University press use "ise" spellings as do all newspapers (The Times switched in the late '80s) TV companies and the UK government.

The exceptions are those where the verb suffix is derived from French- "prise", "mise" (surprise, compromise, comprise etc) or Latin "cise", "vise" (supervise, televise, circumcise etc).

I use standardized OED spelling for international use and "ise" spellings at work because "ize" spellings are generally considered formal or even American by people who clearly don't read books. I don't really think it matters a great deal though, because any words can easily be red evn wit tunz ov speling mistaykz!
Kirk   Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:47 pm GMT
<<"ize" spellings are generally considered formal or even American by people who clearly don't read books.>>

;) Haha. I always thought it was kind of interesting how an originally British spelling became so associated with America when American spelling actually changed nothing in this particular area.
Uriel   Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:37 pm GMT
There's probably no one answer to this question, unfortunately. It would be nice if we could all spell to one single standard, but we don't. Perhaps since there are more countries using the British spelling, it would be easier for international orthography to lean toward "majority rule".
Dan   Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:56 pm GMT
<<I use standardized OED spelling for international use and "ise" spellings at work because "ize" spellings are generally consider>>

That's exactly what I do.
I regard -ize as more formal and more international. -ise is more appropriate for publications in Britain/Australia (British/Australian readership)...
OED spelling could therefore be called "International British spelling" and UK spelling with -ise "Commonwealth spelling".

I really don't like it when people call -ize an "American spelling". See also:
http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutspelling/ize?view=uk
Dennis   Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:36 pm GMT
Yep, -ize is more international than -ise.
Dan   Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:47 pm GMT
The currect trends seems to be:
- -ise is used in the mass media: TV (BBC, BSkyB...), newspapers (Times, Guardian, Sun, Mirror...), general publishing (novels, cooking books...)
- -ize is often, but not always, used in academic publishing: Scientific journals (Nature, Oxford journals...), text books
Rick Johnson   Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:03 pm GMT
<<,-ize is often, but not always, used in academic publishing: Scientific journals (Nature, Oxford journals...), text books>>

and paperback novels -Penguin and Pan, for example, use this spelling.
Dan   Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:36 pm GMT
I think older publications (like novels from the 19th century), written with -ize are not changed into -ise when published nowadays.
Rick Johnson   Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:47 pm GMT
<<I think older publications (like novels from the 19th century), written with -ize are not changed into -ise when published nowadays.>>

I think it depends on the publisher. Looking through paperback books written in the last 30 years (those on my shelves) nearly all have ize spelling- the exceptions are those published by Cambrige Uni or some small publishers that I've never heard of.
eito(jpn)   Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:07 pm GMT
mandy Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:57 pm GMT
>>suprise or suprize?<<

One thing ocurred to me.

If you prefer "-ise" to "-ize", things must be easy, on condition that you could ignore how words are pronounced. You would not have to be puzzled when it comes to spelling! You can almost always use "-ise" except "prize", "size", and words related to them. Aditionally, "capsize". I don't know every detail, but that's about it. (Furthermore, some peeple still use "practise" insted of "practice", both of which are puzzling. Why not "practiss"?)

Personally, I prefer "-ize". It is better than the all-purposs "-ise".