Can you KIDnap an adult?

Xlo   Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:25 am GMT
What is the etymology of the word "kidnap"? Can you kidnap someone who is not a kid? My friend said that her dog was "dognapped," can you do that???
MollyB   Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:32 am GMT
Yes.
MollyB   Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:37 am GMT
Guest   Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:23 am GMT
Here's the official status of kidnapping in the US:

(Apparently it applies only to "persons", so you can't officially kidnap a dog, at least under 18 USC 1201. Things may be different in other countries.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

18 USC Sec. 1201
01/26/98
TITLE 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I - CRIMES
CHAPTER 55 - KIDNAPPING

HEADING

Sec. 1201. Kidnapping

STATUTE

(a) Whoever unlawfully seizes, confines, inveigles, decoys, kidnaps, abducts, or carries away and holds for ransom or reward or otherwise any person, except in the case of a minor by the parent thereof, when -

(1) the person is willfully transported in interstate or
foreign commerce;

(2) any such act against the person is done within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States;

(3) any such act against the person is done within the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States as defined in section 46501 of title 49;

(4) the person is a foreign official, an internationally protected person, or an official guest as those terms are defined in section 1116(b) of this title; or

(5) the person is among those officers and employees designated in section 1114 of this title and any such act against the person is done while the person is engaged in, or on account of, the performance of official duties

shall be punished by imprisonment for any term of years or for life and, if the death of any person results, shall be punished by death or life imprisonment.

blah blah blah
Guest   Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:54 am GMT
Can you manhandle a woman? Can you manhunt a woman? Can you manslaughter a woman?
beneficii   Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:52 am GMT
Guest #1,

Of course that definition only applies to interstate issues. If the kidnapping takes place entirely in one state, then that law would not apply. (Remember, the US is a federal system!)

Don't worry too much about wondering about KIDnapping, I know as a kid (and I'm a native speaker) me and the other kids often wondered about the first syllable of that word being "kid" which made words like DOGnapping make sense, etc. But I still think that adults can be "kidnapped" as well, though the legal term I think is often abduction.
Guest   Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:23 pm GMT
<<But I still think that adults can be "kidnapped" as well, though the legal term I think is often abduction. >>

Kidnapping may imply holding a hostage for ransom , whereas abduction might be just grabbing and carrying someone off (e.g into slavery).
Rick Johnson   Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:02 pm GMT
I think the word "kidnap" is derived from kid nab (nab = to steal). Originally it would have applied to children (hundreds of years ago), but now it is used for anyone.
Shah MAqsood   Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:45 am GMT
No we can't say Dognap it can be used for any thing
furrykef   Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:32 pm GMT
You CAN say "dognapped", but it's not standard English. Such words are not uncommon in colloquial speech, and are often, but not always, humorous. A person is always "kidnapped", though, never "adultnapped" or anything.
SB   Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:37 pm GMT
"Kidnapping" a dog is theft.
Guest   Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:58 pm GMT
Not to be too OT, but I just want to point out to the non-native speakers here, that a kid is actually a young goat and not necessarily a human child.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=kid

I always thought that the original meaning of "kidnapper" was a goat thief. It's a quite an old word anyway.

Etymology:
probably back-formation from kidnapper, from kid + obsolete napper thief
Date:
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=kidnap
Achab   Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:06 pm GMT
I find amusing that while "dognapping" indicates the abduction of a dog, "catnapping" refers to taking a short, light nap the way a cat often does.

Achab
Guest   Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:41 pm GMT
Kids at my school used to make "-napped" words out of everything that was stealable. Pencilnapped, booknapped, Gameboy-napped... I don't know how pervasive this practice is among English-speaking kids internationally, but around here (California) I think it's pretty common.