English words vs Other languages

Guest   Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:56 am GMT
Do you believe that English words are completely disordered, I mean, there is nothing 'Englishy' about English words. When I see a random English word it could just as easy be a word of Bengali or Nurabosith. In other languages, words are recognisable as a word of that language much easier. Is it because English is a 'hybrid language' or because of non concrete spelling?

btw , I think this belongs to this forum due to comparison with other languages, but feel free to move it if you desire.
Guest   Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:10 am GMT
I think it's because of the way English is spelled. If you hear an English word, you can tell that it's English and not another language.
Guest   Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:11 pm GMT
because it is a hybrid language
guest   Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:35 pm GMT
English is not a hybrid language...

and especially not any more than any other (Latin, French, Albanian, Korean, Japanese, etc)
Guest   Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:39 pm GMT
& Finnish
Guest   Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:39 pm GMT
English IS a hybrid language much more tahn any other in Europe
guest   Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:45 pm GMT
<<English IS a hybrid language much more tahn any other in Europe >>

No it's not. It originates from only one source: Middle English < Old English < *Anglo-Frisian West Germanic < Proto-Germanic < Indo-European.

If you think otherwise, then prove it.

Finnish, as stated above, is another language heavily influenced lexically by another, in this case Swedish.
guest   Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:59 pm GMT
Here, I have bracketed out all the non-English (i.e. the un-"Englishy") words for you:

"Do you believe that English words are [<complete>]ly [<disorder>]ed, I mean, there is nothing 'Englishy' about English words. When I see a [<random>] English word it could just as [<easy>] be a word of [<Bengali>] or [<Nurabosith>]. In other [<language>]s, words are [<recognisable>] as a word of that [<language>] much [<easi>]er. Is it be[<cause>] English is a ['<hybrid language>'] or be[<cause>] of [<non>] [<concrete>] spelling?

btw , I think this belongs to this [<forum] [<due] to [<comparison] with other [<language]s, but feel free to [<move] it if you [<desire]."

*I have not bracketed out the word 'are' as this form can either be thought of as native (O.E. earon) or from Old Norse ('erun').

The structure of the language is completely English. Word order is as well. Nope, nothing hybrid about it.
guest   Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:03 pm GMT
Oops, I left out [spell]ing, which in this sense comes from French<Frankish/O.H.G; as does 'random' (O.Fr. randir< Frankish ranjan)
guest   Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:08 pm GMT
In a language, such as Korean, the proportion of Sino- and English loans to native Korean words would be much higher than in the English excerpt above, and Korean is in no way a hybrid language. Korean grammar is totally unlike both Chinese and English: words borrowed are incorporated into the language on a Korean system and operate just as if they were native words--just like words in English.
Guest   Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:16 pm GMT
No it's not. It originates from only one source: Middle English < Old English < *Anglo-Frisian West Germanic < Proto-Germanic < Indo-European.

If you think otherwise, then prove it.

Yes it is, I don't have to prove anything, it's widely known, except for you evidently, besides being an hybrid language English vocabulary is made by almost any other European language (Spanish, French, Italian....)
guest   Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:07 pm GMT
<<Yes it is, I don't have to prove anything, it's widely known, except for you evidently, besides being an hybrid language English vocabulary is made by almost any other European language (Spanish, French, Italian....) >>

That's because you can't. And you can't because English is not a hybrid language. Maybe only uneducated and easily influenced folk think that.

It's was also widely known that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction...did it? --Where are they? I have never heard anyone ever suggest that English is a hybrid language.

Name me one feature of the English language, other than the borrowing of words--a feature that all languages share (even Spanish French and Italian), that comes from a language other than English. You can't.

Even if you could, that still wouldn't qualify as a hybridization. Do you even know what hybrid means? Descending from two different and distinct strains/lineages you goof! The only thing about English that might remotely be called hybrid are some individual words like: tele+vision, gentle+man, starv+ation, but those are words--not the language as a whole.

<<English vocabulary is made by almost any other European language (Spanish, French, Italian....) >>
Which of these words of yours come from Spanish French or Italian:
Do
you
believe
that
English
words
are
I
mean
there
is
nothing
about
When
see
a
it
could
as
be
of
or
In
other
much
btw
think
this
belongs
to
but
feel
free
Blake   Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:17 pm GMT
English isn't the result of mixing French, Spanish, Italian whatever. Do you get English when you mix those together? I dont think so.

This is stupid.
Guest   Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:44 pm GMT
<<Yes it is, I don't have to prove anything, it's widely known, except for you evidently,>>

if that's widely know ur an idiot
Guest   Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:01 pm GMT
<<Here, I have bracketed out all the non-English (i.e. the un-"Englishy") words for you:

"Do you believe that English words are [<complete>]ly [<disorder>]ed, I mean, there is nothing 'Englishy' about English words. When I see a [<random>] English word it could just as [<easy>] be a word of [<Bengali>] or [<Nurabosith>]. In other [<language>]s, words are [<recognisable>] as a word of that [<language>] much [<easi>]er. Is it be[<cause>] English is a ['<hybrid language>'] or be[<cause>] of [<non>] [<concrete>] spelling?

btw , I think this belongs to this [<forum] [<due] to [<comparison] with other [<language]s, but feel free to [<move] it if you [<desire]." >>

You forgot to bracket the word 'just'. Just is another unenglishy word.