The Speech Speed

SJF   Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:10 am GMT
I want to know whether the actors in movies speak in the normal speed,just as they speak in the daily life.I watched the movie Superbad and the cartoon series Southpark,and I found that it's very difficult for me to understand all. I can understand the meanings of most slangs but I cannot catch the actors' speech speed.So would a native speaker tell me how fast you speak generally? Thanks.
Guest   Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:50 am GMT
I don't know. I tend to speak pretty fast. Faster than people on TV usually.
Guest   Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:59 am GMT
It def varies from person to person. No fixed answer. In general, I find the speed of actors' speech(in movies) on the slower side as compared to real people when talking on the phone. Exception to this rule is, of coutrse, to me is that guy from "wedding crashers". Vince Vaughn is a bloody fast talker.
another guest   Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:05 pm GMT
I agree that actors on tv and in movies tend to speak slower, and enunciate more, than most natives do in real life. Young people in particular speak much more quickly than that. Watching tv and movies in English may not be the best way to get a feel for the actual speed of the language...
DJ   Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:16 pm GMT
Most slangs? Slang is uncountable. You could say "most slang expressions".
tinuviel   Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:51 pm GMT
The people in southpark do speak pretty fast, but not unreasonably fast for native speakers. I, for one, speak like a record playing about 500 rpms too fast >.<
Guest   Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:22 am GMT
Southpark is not a good example of English, their voices are unrealistic, and if you talk with their style people will take you for an idiot.