How u APOLOGISE in AMERICA?

Mark   Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:25 pm GMT
i need to know that what are the most known forms of apology in american culture??
How do ya apologise in normal life and in the corporate entities to a customer over some mischief being done to him?//
Justfive different sentences they should be meaningfull attractive and trull expressing an apology in whatsoever sense it is.....
Plzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Latin   Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:40 pm GMT
Americans have no culture!
Uriel   Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:38 pm GMT
Well, "I'm sorry" will get you started... Did you have something specific in mind?
Geoff_One   Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:45 pm GMT
Speaking generally/globally -

Employ a spin doctor/professional word smith to explain the unexplainable.

Provide significant help to the person who is owed an apology and at the same time make it clear that the help is not an admission of guilt. At the same time place this person into a position where he/she has to pay you back for the help etc etc.
Uriel   Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:55 am GMT
I think I agree with Geoff -- the more flowery and verbose the apology, the less you really mean it! A simple "sorry" is usually much more sincere.
Boy   Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:39 pm GMT
Will 'Accept my apologies' also work?

Can anyone give me a clear definition of a culture so that I can understand why Americans have no culture? I'm tired and sick of hearing and reading this aforesaid sentence. What amuzes me more when it comes from an American native speaker himself/herself.

Here I give you a brief reference. A new yoker(caucasian) who came at a local FM radio show and when a caller asked him a question.

"Please tell us something about American culture?"

He didn't answer at all. Just said "Americans are uncultured." and moved on to answer another's caller question.

It makes me more befuddled to see when Americans don't have high esteem for their own culture.

Pls clear my confusion in this regard as I have never been to USA.
Travis   Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:29 pm GMT
>>Will 'Accept my apologies' also work?<<

"I'm sorry" sounds better, as "Accept my apologies" sounds a bit too flowery and not-quite-as-sincere, as Uriel said.

>>Can anyone give me a clear definition of a culture so that I can understand why Americans have no culture? I'm tired and sick of hearing and reading this aforesaid sentence. What amuzes me more when it comes from an American native speaker himself/herself.<<

Well, the whole notion that "we have no culture" is rather silly to begin with.

>>Here I give you a brief reference. A new yoker(caucasian) who came at a local FM radio show and when a caller asked him a question.

"Please tell us something about American culture?"

He didn't answer at all. Just said "Americans are uncultured." and moved on to answer another's caller question.<<

Well, just disregard this given person, who seems to be an idiot to me at least.

>>It makes me more befuddled to see when Americans don't have high esteem for their own culture.<<

Of course, you should remember that this is just an isolated person, and thus is not the general case in and of themselves.
John   Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:52 pm GMT
Send the lawyers in to threaten them, the you don't have to!
Dale   Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:37 am GMT
LOL! That works, too ;)
Uriel   Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:55 am GMT
You know, it's just better to ignore some comments, Travis ....

Boy: I would call "culture" the set of rules and assumptions that you make about social behavior in a given society. It's the way you predict how you are supposed to act, and how others will act in return.

I notice that it is often closely related cultures who tend to sneer at each other; cultures that are very different tend to take each other at face value.

I think this is because when two peoples are very alike in many respects, they are lulled into a false sense of familiarity and security; when they run into the differences, where people of the other culture DO NOT behave as predicted by the first culture's rules, this behavior is deemed poor or wrong, even though it may be perfectly consistent with the other culture's norms.

When people are of very different cultures, fewer expectations, assumptions, or value judgments are made.