Humble   Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:21 am GMT
Hello,
Please tell me which you use:
How to Do Your Best on College Exams
How To Do Your Best In The Law School Exams

Maybe On is AmE and In BE?
Thank you.
Guest   Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:50 am GMT
I'm an American and I say "on tests" or "on exams".
Humble   Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:23 am GMT
Thanks, guest.
Anyone from Britain, please?
Lazar   Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:57 pm GMT
That "on tests" thing reminds me of when I was in high school. I didn't want to take a difficult test and so I pulled the fire alarm and therefore the test was delayed.
Russconha   Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:48 am GMT
I'm English and I say 'in tests'. 'On tests' would be referring to tests, 'in tests' would be within the test
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:12 am GMT
Somebody asked for the British perspective on this one, well here it is.

It has been proved here in Britain that boys generally perform better than girls IN exams, but there is a gender reversal when results are based ON overall course work - ie: girls usually do better IN general course work over a period of time while the boys do better IN exams, which last for about a couple of hours or so. That may have something to do with a shorter male attention span, ON average, and a male tendency to perform more effectively IN a more concentrated period of time.

That's the British perspective anyway - it may, of course, be different elsewhere, but I rather doubt it.

I hate typing "I hate spam". Spam fritters are quite yummy with a tossed green salad and black olives.
Humble   Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:20 am GMT
That's the spirit. Thank you, Russconha and Damian in Edinburgh. Now I've got a clear picture.