Grammar Question, is it Ok??

Student   Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:19 pm GMT
Hi ..
I wonder whether my writing is correct or not.
There seems to be so many questions..
The followings are questions about English grammar.
please answer me..

1 Which is correct or better ?
(1) See you tomorrow same time same place.
(2) See you tomorrow at the same time and the same place.

2 Which is correct?
(1) Whose is a possessive adjective.
(2) Whose is a possessive.

3 Which is correct?
(1) Present form in the direct speech is changed to the past form in the reported speech.
(2) Present form in the direct speech changes to the past form in the reported speech.

4.Is it correct?
Relative pronouns function as conjunctions and pronouns in the sentence.

5. Which is correct?
Today we're going to study 'relative pronouns'
Today we'll study 'relative pronouns'.

6 Are they correct?
(1) I'll make a list of relative pronouns and then we're looking at how to use them.
(2) I'll make a list of relative pronouns and then let's look at how to use them

7 What is the difference between them?
(1)I want you to write your introduction.
(2)I want you to write out your introduction.

8. Are they correct?
(1) Turn in your paper on Friday.
(2) Present your paper on Friday.

Is "present" is used the same meaning as "turn in"? if so, how can we know whether "present" means

"turn in" or talking to students with his paper in class?
Present also means talking to other students with his paper in fron of in class, doesn't it?

Thanks for reading long writing.
Guest   Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:23 pm GMT
<< Which is correct?
(1) Present form in the direct speech is changed to the past form in the reported speech.
(2) Present form in the direct speech changes to the past form in the reported speech.
>>

I'd change these to:

(1) [The] present form in direct speech is changed to [the] past form in reported speech.
(2) [The] present form in direct speech changes to [the] past form in reported speech.

where [the] is optional.

As to what rules apply here for using "the", I haven't the foggiest.
Laura   Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:45 am GMT
I am really bad in grammer , & I need help
Lazar   Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:26 am GMT
<<1 Which is correct or better ?
(1) See you tomorrow same time same place.
(2) See you tomorrow at the same time and the same place. >>

Well, (1) needs more punctuation, like: "See you tomorrow, same time, same place," or perhaps, "See you tomorrow - same time, same place." Anyway, (1) would be more suitable for colloquial speech. (2) is a bit more neutral or formal, but I think it would sound more complete and natural if it were, "I'll see you tomorrow at the same time and the same place."

<<2 Which is correct?
(1) Whose is a possessive adjective.
(2) Whose is a possessive.>>

Those are both correct: a possessive adjective is a type of possessive. But to make it clear that you're talking about the word "whose" itself, I think you should put the word in quotation marks (or italicize it if possible).

<<3 Which is correct?
(2) Present form in the direct speech changes to the past form in the reported speech.>>

First of all, we need to correct both of these:

(1) [The] present form in direct speech is changed to [the] past form in reported speech.
(2) [The] present form in direct speech changes to [the] past form in reported speech.

Now: Neither of these is really incorrect, but (2) sounds more natural.

<<4.Is it correct?
Relative pronouns function as conjunctions and pronouns in the sentence.>>

Yes...but I think I would change "the sentence" to "a sentence", unless you're talking about a specific example sentence. (In such a case, then, I think "this sentence" would be preferable.)

<<5. Which is correct?
Today we're going to study 'relative pronouns'
Today we'll study 'relative pronouns'.>>

They're both fine. If I had to judge, then I'd say that (2) sounds a bit more formal, and (1) a bit more colloquial and friendly.

<<6 Are they correct?
(1) I'll make a list of relative pronouns and then we're looking at how to use them.
(2) I'll make a list of relative pronouns and then let's look at how to use them.>>

Neither one sounds natural to me. I would prefer:

"I'll make a list of relative pronouns[,] and then we'll look at how to use them."

<<7 What is the difference between them?
(1)I want you to write your introduction.
(2)I want you to write out your introduction.>>

(1) means more that the teacher wants the students to complete a part of their paper (as in, "this week write your introduction, and then next week write the next part, etc."), whereas (2) means more that the teacher wants the students to prepare a draft of their introduction, as a rough draft or as a guide for an oral presentation. I think the fundamental thing is that "write out" seems to imply that you're writing in aid of something - in order to help you do something else. I think that perhaps "write out" could be equivalent to "prepare".

<<8. Are they correct?
(1) Turn in your paper on Friday.
(2) Present your paper on Friday.>>

They're both correct. (1) simply means that the students will give their papers to the teacher, nothing more. I think (2) implies that the students will make an oral presentation of their paper, in addition to turning it in.