share your English learning experience

Tiffany   Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:02 am GMT
Don't listen to Mxsmanic. He hardly represents the entire population or can speak for them.
roy   Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:44 am GMT
I have problem with english writing. It is very difficult, I try to write but I always make mistake and affraid about grammar mistake. What should I Do?
Kirk   Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:47 am GMT
<<Don't listen to Mxsmanic. He hardly represents the entire population or can speak for them.>>

Very true.
eito(jpn) --- lerner   Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:19 pm GMT
>>If you then encounter someone from another culture who is not a native speaker of the national language, it's natural to assume that he is retarded as well, because he makes the same mistakes that you've previously heard only among retarded people. Of course, he makes mistakes for a completely different reason, but if you aren't familiar with other cultures, you wouldn't necessarily realize that.<<

>>Nobody is fluent after 50 hours of instruction, no matter how smart he is, and people who work in multilingual and multicultural environments know this. <<

I wonder why Mxsmanic used the *generic* "He" several times.
sarah   Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:52 pm GMT
Hi, I am want some websites about English listening.
Julia   Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:19 pm GMT
Good Time ,
I think that there are many words have the same sound and pronounciation especially in American speech ,so as a foriegn we face some problems with speaker native if they talk quickly .
Travis   Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:32 pm GMT
>>>>If you then encounter someone from another culture who is not a native speaker of the national language, it's natural to assume that he is retarded as well, because he makes the same mistakes that you've previously heard only among retarded people. Of course, he makes mistakes for a completely different reason, but if you aren't familiar with other cultures, you wouldn't necessarily realize that.<<

>>Nobody is fluent after 50 hours of instruction, no matter how smart he is, and people who work in multilingual and multicultural environments know this. <<

I wonder why Mxsmanic used the *generic* "He" several times.<<

Because he is a pompous, pendantic ass who hasn't gotten it through his head yet that (the vast majority of) people don't actually use "he" as generic in at least North American English due to some kind of idea that it is somehow "standard". I wouldn't be surprised myself if he also thought that things like "It is I" and like were "standard" either, at that.
Guest   Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:52 pm GMT
sarah Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:52 pm GMT
>>Hi, I am want some websites about English listening.<<

You should go to ...

http://voanews.com/english/portal.cfm
http://voanews.com/english/index.cfm
http://voanews.com/specialenglish/
Sarah   Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:39 pm GMT
Hi all of you.
Thanks so much Guest for this favor.I will check this websites immediately.I appreciate your reaction . I felt frustration because no one reply on me.
hoda   Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:49 pm GMT
Each person will face a lot of problems during learning foreign language. Especially English which has two kind of pronunciation. (English_british,English_American) or different spelling. In most Asian countries English is taught in different ways without considering that there are big differences between English british and English American.
Like when I want to write or pronounce the words have a lot of problems. E.g:I say some words with American accent or writ some words with English spelling.
These problems are basic problems which are so difficult to correct them. But when I started study in other asian country which English is most common helps me a lot..
In my case talking with friends who studied English from six years old helps me too. In most countries they are a lot of institutes which help students to learn English but we observe the student just talk English during class or in most cases they talk in their native languages. But I think if there was some thing which can force them to speak English completely during language classes ,it would help them a lot. Like using foreign teachers. In the end ,I want to say maybe we cant change the educational system but maybe little change in ourselves means thinking about progress of our countries or thinking about that little changes can bring great changes will also be helpeful.last important thing in learning languages is try to think on those languages.
Sarah   Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:28 am GMT
Thank you so much Guest..
I checked out the websites you gave me .It was surprised for me because it was about lots of topics including learning English .I listened to one conversation about one student from Iran who learn English .She was amazed about her answers and way of learning ...Again thank you .You help me so much because I have Listening Exame the next week ,so I try some websites but did not useful anough ..It was General..
Uriel   Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:44 am GMT
<<Especially English which has two kind of pronunciation. (English_british,English_American)>>

Actually, there are way more than two dialects in English.

<<(the vast majority of) people don't actually use "he" as generic>>

No, it's still pretty commonplace. I've never had a problem with it, myself -- it's just a linguistic convention; I don't interpret it as sexist, just the result of not having a good neuter pronoun to use.
Sarah   Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:31 am GMT
Hi every body,
How are you all of you. I come back again, but that doesn't mean that I'm far away of the Forum. I observe the topics from time to time because I'm busy at the university and studying.

I'd like to know If there are any dictionaries or books studies all grammars.

Thanks in advance.
Sarah   Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:35 am GMT
I agree with Hoda completely..
Guest   Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:29 pm GMT