Other World languages

Guest   Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:30 pm GMT
I agree, and Quebec is not even a country, only a province.
Spaniard   Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:35 pm GMT
To JLK

The minorities are more important than you think. When I was in London and I did not know where I was, I ask a Hispanic. There are a lot of Spaniards and Hispanics in London for instance, and in all European Union, not only in USA.

There are 30 countries where Spanish is spoken by more than 1 million, and 49 where is spoken by more than 100,000. French is not so spoken.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idioma_espa%C3%B1ol
JLK   Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:36 pm GMT
No, as far as natural resources in concerned, Africa is the richest continent. It's just a matter of time before Africa comes around. People who have visited recently will have noticed a great improvement in the last 10 years. Africa's population is the fast growing population in the world too. Oh and if I were you, I wouldn't joke about "4th world countries". If Africa is 4th world, Latin America is a close runner-up. There are 40 million homeless children in South America alone...
Guest   Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:43 pm GMT
What? Are you trying to make me laugh? Natural resources are nothing if there is not a stable political frame which makes possible to take advantage of them. By the way American countries have much more natural resources than Francophone Africa. For example Venezuela is one of the top global oil suppliers . In Africa the only oil-rich country is Nigeria and it is an English speaking country. The poorest Spanish speaking country in America is richer than the richer French speaking country in Africa.
JLK   Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:44 pm GMT
I agree, and Quebec is not even a country, only a province.

Have you ever looked at a globe? Quebec is one massive province. It's almost as big as Mexico.

<<To JLK

The minorities are more important than you think. When I was in London and I did not know where I was, I ask a Hispanic. There are a lot of Spaniards and Hispanics in London for instance, and in all European Union, not only in USA.

There are 30 countries where Spanish is spoken by more than 1 million, and 49 where is spoken by more than 100,000. French is not so spoken.>>

What? I'm from London. I've never met a Hispanic there in my life, maybe a few Spaniards, but nothing worth mentioning.

Seriously though, get over the population numbers. You guys talk about the Spanish-speaking population if it were some sort of accomplishment. I know what an accomplishment is and breeding like rats is not one of them. Population isn't everything anyways. The USA has a fraction the population of China, yet is much more important country.
Spaniard   Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:50 pm GMT
About 5,000 South America-born people live in South London areas known for their Portuguese and Spanish communities, according to the 2001 UK Census. 44,180 live in London alone, while over 500,000 Britons are of Iberian or Latin American origin. [1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_American_Briton
Guest   Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:50 pm GMT
Quebec is sparsely populated, only a small fraction of the total area is suitable for more or less comfortable human settlement. On the other hand it's not a complete Francophone province, in Montreal the English speakers represent a dinamic community. If French is important in Americas only because there is a mere 6 million speakers community in the Quebec then Spanish is important in Asia because there are 3 millions of speakers in Philippines and now it is compulsory in schools. French on the other hand is not studied by all the Canadians.