New Zealand and South Africa

rob   Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:48 pm GMT
I can tell the difference between New Zealand accents and Australian ones (Aussies are nasal and have more of a twang that I don't detect in NZ). It's South African accents that I confuse with NZ. They sound extremely similar to me and most of the time I can't tell the difference, but sometimes I can. I usually know the person is South African when they say a word like "can't".

What is the major difference or differences between NZ and SA accents? What should I listen for in order to identify them with little or no difficulty?
Lazar   Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:19 pm GMT
One thing is that New Zealanders pronounce the vowel in "far" as [a:] (even more fronted than the vowel that Australians use, from some things I've read), whereas I think South Africans would use a much more backed vowel, often rounded, like [ɒ:].
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:34 am GMT
I don't think I could really tell an Aussie from a Kiwi if I were to hear them in conversation, not even if my life depended on it. I honestly couldn't. I think I would assume that any antipodean accent I heard would be Australian. The thought that is may be a New Zealander speaking would not immediately enter my head. It's more or less the same situation with an American and a Canadian, but I reckon I can pretty well identify a Canadian more easily than I could a Kiwi because I am more familar with some of the characteristically Canadian vowel sounds, as in words like "out" and "about".

I don'tthink I could accurately distinguish a German from a Swiss when they are speaking English, or a Norwegian from a Swede. But I could definitely tell a Dutchman....on the other hand, he may well be a Flemish speaking Belgian? I need to get out and about more on the Continent.....I do have a Euro rail pass after all....