English grammar

Michael   Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:27 am GMT
I have a student asking me why the verb "to propose" cannot take an indirect object, e.g.:

She proposed me that we should meet for dinner.
(Should be "She proposed to me that we should meet for dinner")

where most transitive verbs can take an IO.

I know that you cannot have an IO if the verb cannot take a direct object, but "to propose" can take a DO, e.g.:

He proposed marriage.

Any explanations?

Thanks.

Michael
eito(jpn)   Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:25 am GMT
Likewise, I wonder why the verb "to explain" cannot take an indirect object, e.g.:

We explained to him that it was impossible.

Why impossible? What would you say?
Uriel   Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:56 am GMT
You CAN say "she proposed meeting for dinner".
eito(jpn)   Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:01 pm GMT
The discussion here is about why the verb "to propose" cannot take an indirect object, where most transitive verbs can take an IO. It's not about whether you need it or not, I presume. But I'd prefer the simple sentence Uriel proposed, just because it seems to me easier to use.

You gave us a good example.
You gave a good example to us.
You provided us with a good example.
You provided a good example for us.

Why? This kind of question could not be solved forever.

As a lerner, I made up my mind to make the best use of model sentences, so as not to be stressed out. We have to recognize that English is illogical as well as other languages.
eito(jpn)   Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:04 pm GMT
>>You provided a good example for us. <<

I don't think this sentence is good.
Uriel   Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:34 pm GMT
Actually, it does work. It takes the same form as, say, "You're not setting a good example for the kids." Of course, to "set" an example and to "provide" an example can be used either as synonyms or with slightly different meanings, if that doesn't confuse you too much!
eito(jpn)   Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:11 pm GMT
>>Actually, it does work.<<

Yes, it works. But I often feel uneasy about my clumsy English. I always hope I can make myself understood.
Uriel   Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:48 am GMT
I think you do a very good job, eito.
Mxsmanic   Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:44 am GMT
Explain and propose can both take direct objects; the direct objects are the things explained and proposed, respectively. However, the person who is at the receiving end of the explanation or proposition is always an indirect object. "She proposed marriage to him." Just because you omit the thing explained or proposed does not mean that the person receiving the explanation or proposition can be magically converted into a direct object.

I see French students making this mistake all the time. What they don't seem to realize is that the two verbs operate in exactly the same way in French. Apparently they don't understand that in "Il m'explique" the "me" is in fact an indirect object, not a direct object, even though there's no orthographic distinction between the two in this position in French.
Saif   Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:36 am GMT
Mxsmanic
Excellent explanation - I was drafting a reply before I noticed yours!
eito(jpn)   Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:17 am GMT
Please let me go back to the top of this thred.

>>I have a student asking me why the verb "to propose" cannot take an indirect object, e.g.:

She proposed me that we should meet for dinner.
(Should be "She proposed to me that we should meet for dinner")

where most transitive verbs can take an IO.<<

"Most transitive verbs" can take an IO? The student said so? Now I presume that there are not so many ditransitive verbs.

I'm sorry to have to disapoint someone, but I have to say there are teachers and teachers. What would you say to this student, Mxsmanic?
Geoff_One   Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:03 pm GMT
One can say:

She proposed me for the position of club president.
Geoff_One   Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:10 pm GMT
Ditto:

We explained him to the newcomers.
eito(jpn)   Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:13 pm GMT
>>She proposed me for the position of club president.<<
>>We explained him to the newcomers.<<

In these cases, "me" and "him" are direct objects. English is difficult, isn't it?
loves_gone   Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:45 pm GMT
it's too hard to study EL gramma, especially I have some trouble with Verb forms and tenses... besides, writting , too