Oh bother, England have scored a second goal!

Uriel   Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:15 am GMT
I've seen dates written with the year first as well. Think what you want about how we write dates, but I think I at least find that it does color how I think about dates -- to me, the month IS the most important part of the date, because it helps me visualize what time of year we're talking about -- spring, winter, etc. The day (3rd, 25th, whatever) just modifies the month, and the year just helps me identify the historical context. So to me, the way we write the date does have a certain practical use.

So when I think of my birthdate, for instance (7/20/72), the month evokes a picture of warm summer days, the day itself is relatively unimportant, and the year gives me the image of polyester, disco, and bellbottoms (shudder!)
DamiAn   Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:31 am GMT
Just think...when we get to the 6th of June next year there will be no quibbling at all.......all the sixes...06/06/06. Only one problem.....could be devilish. I think I'll change my name.....what an omen. I've heard it all before.........
Kirk   Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:35 am GMT
I agree with Uriel that the month (hence the time of year) seems the most salient piece of information, with the actual day being somewhat secondary and the year being for historical context. Of course some Koreans and Chinese might feel we all have it wrong--in my Korean class I learned to write the dates as year-month-day. To use a random date, June 14, 1959 would be 59/6/14.
Rick Johnson   Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:12 am GMT
As far as I remember, even Canadians write the date 31/12/05 rather than 12/31/05. I mean who has ever heard of 31 months in a year! I guess I'm used to it now having read American dates online almost everday for the last 11 years.
Candy   Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:18 am GMT
<<As far as I remember, even Canadians write the date 31/12/05 rather than 12/31/05. I mean who has ever heard of 31 months in a year!>>

Just asked my Canadian partner about that, and he does it the American way, month first. He *thinks* most Canadians would do it that way also (but he's lived in Europe for 12 years and isn't totally sure any more)