Is this an Americanism?

Guest   Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:17 am GMT
"No one" means "no single story alone". Multiple stories together could be complete.
Aidan McLaren   Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:35 pm GMT
Didn't I just explain that before, along with Josh? Are you trying in desperation to prove me wrong? It could mean that or in a general sense talking about all books ever made.

The people who call themselves guest need to start naming themselves.
Guest   Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:07 pm GMT
No, you ppl with names should give up idolizing your ego. Pathetic vanity, source of all conflict.
Aidan McLaren   Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:17 pm GMT
Well, at least it would prove you're not trying to be annoying.

In a nutshell: It's a highly ambiguous term that shouldn't be used. "No one" emphasises the individual whereas "not one" doesn't.
Guest   Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:35 pm GMT
"No one story is ever complete" is the same as saying 'No story is ever complete' and then adding another modifier to 'story'

--"No *one* (i.e. single) story is ever complete"

cf.
"No *individual* story is ever complete"
"No *unique* story is ever complete"

I wouldn't call it an Americanism. It might be heard most often in America, but it's just plain old English (language).
Guest   Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:52 pm GMT
"No, you ppl with names should give up idolizing your ego. Pathetic vanity, source of all conflict."

I've seen this kind of comment before and I find it disturbing. Actually anytime I see any psychobabble here, I find it disturbing, unless it's Franco.
Guest   Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:54 pm GMT
I suppose that I have an idea that is different from both Mr. McLaren and Josh. Context would be great to have.
Guest   Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:26 pm GMT
<<"No, you ppl with names should give up idolizing your ego. Pathetic vanity, source of all conflict."

I've seen this kind of comment before and I find it disturbing. Actually anytime I see any psychobabble here, I find it disturbing, unless it's Franco.<<

Above is my reason for posting as Guest, besides from it being easier (less typing). It has been my experience that pursuing ones ego leads to conflict. On the other hand if we stay in the domain of ideas there's no place for conflict, only rivalry of thought.
May I ask, what is your reason for posting as Guest?
Aidan McLaren   Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:47 am GMT
cf.
"No *individual* story is ever complete"
"No *unique* story is ever complete"

Indeed.