Can anyone teach with callan method or a talent is required?

N Newman   Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:27 pm GMT
lilly   Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:47 pm GMT
Callan is designed as the ultimate 'teacher-proof' method. One of its great claims is that 'anyone' can teach - you don't need trained teachers or even a school, even friends can teach themselves by following the course material and by sticking rigidly to the teaching rules. According to the school of thought to which the Callan Method belongs, 'saying something' and 'learning something' are the same: so lessons are based on being made to 'say things', regardless of how meaningful or meaningless they might be. Making people say things? Anyone can do that with consenting adults.
Talent. A lot of Callan teachers need to either have or develop certain talents to make a teaching day at least bearable (it's certainly not for couch potatoes or 'feely touchy' teachers). Energy and enthusiasm are prime talents, as they would be in most jobs, and when teachers step outside the rules a bit and put some of 'themselves' into their teaching, lessons can be pretty enjoyable.
A lot has been said about the merits or otherwise of the Callan Method and most discussions conclude that it sometimes works well and it often doesn't work well. It is more effective at elementary levels and pretty dismal at higher levels. Very few advocates of the method are able to justify the fact that such out-dated teaching material is still being used.
Steve   Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:48 pm GMT
I study in one of the Callan schools at Liverpool Street in London. Most of the teachers are very good,but some can not do their job at all. It all depends on personality of a teacher, I think. We have actors, musicians, dancers and singers teaching - it's really cool.
SARA   Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:27 pm GMT
Is it the same to learn English using Callan method in Callan school and in any other school. i have one school near my home and don't know if I should choose it. Thank you.
Robin   Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:19 am GMT
To Sara. I like small Callan schools much more than the main one on Oxford Street. There is one in Liverpool Street in London and there is another good one in Ealing Broadway. In smaller schools it is normally less students per class and a personal approach of administration. Good luck!
SARA   Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:02 am GMT
I have been learning for 2 weeks now and must admit the method is very good! Recommend to others!