Which to Learn Canadian ou European French

Guest   Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:59 am GMT
So, Josh, do you speak "Canadian" French?
Guest   Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:03 am GMT
Is it true that Canadian French sounds like German?
Guest   Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:15 am GMT
Not to my ears it doesn't! I speak both French and German, btw.
Guest   Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:16 am GMT
" I speak Québécois French but I can easily switch to a more standard European French. They will not understand me if I speak it with rural Quebeckers, but I will always understand them. Canadian French is a more archaic dialect of French and it has maintained many features which were lost in European French.

Learn the standard though, since material for you to gain fluency in Canadian French is scarce. And they are not that different from one another... plus Canadian French is virtually never written, except for comedy. "

I learned French as a foreign language and when I went to Canada, I didn't have a hard time understanding them even if I listen to the conversation of the people in the street except for the local terminologies exclusively used within French Canada.

I experienced the same thing with the Cajun French speakers in Lousiana.

Both variants of French is like something peculiar or archaic or classical but I do understand most of what they say even if they're talking with each other using the local French.
K. T.   Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:36 am GMT
That's interesting. I've wondered what kind of French was taught in Canada.
Rolando   Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:21 am GMT
So I should learn European French then... :-)

p.s. If there was a Belgium, French, & a Québécois speaking french, will all 3 understand each other...?
Rolando   Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:25 am GMT
Im guessing they would, because if there was a Spanish, Mexican, Argentinian, & Cuba person speaking Spanish Im sure they would all understand each other very well, but it all depends on their vocabualry. But that does not apply to diffrent people of diffrent countries who share the same language (ex. Brazil & Portugal)
SuperSarko   Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:34 pm GMT
<<How many speakers in North Africa have French as their native language?>>

Nobody
greg   Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:33 pm GMT
'Guest' : « Is it true that Canadian French sounds like German? ».

Non, pas du tout. Mais les variantes canadiennes du français sont beaucoup plus dipthonguées que la pseudonorme de France. Ya aussi pas mal d'affriquées alvéolaires. La longueur vocalique est également différente. Le /i/ est souvent réalisé /ɪ/ (API) = /I/ (X-Sampa).
Guest   Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:05 am GMT
<<If there was a Belgium, French, & a Québécois speaking french, will all 3 understand each other...?>>
It's Belgian not Belgium.
Guest   Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:08 am GMT
<< Im guessing they would, because if there was a Spanish, Mexican, Argentinian, & Cuba person speaking Spanish Im sure they would all understand each other very well, but it all depends on their vocabualry. But that does not apply to diffrent people of diffrent countries who share the same language (ex. Brazil & Portugal) >>

Sure, if they are all educated. But if Spanish speakers form those countries are not educated and therefore the speeches that they use exclusively are the local Spanish then they would have a hard time understanding each other.