British spellings conserving the FRENCH spellings !

Sander   Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:01 pm GMT
Okay,candy :-) I'm lost in translation and you'll have to help me out.

In which tenses are these sentences?

I "Adam, you ought to visit a hospital "

II "Adam, you should visit a hospital "

III "Adam, you must visit a hospital "

IV "Adam, you shall visit a hospital "

V "Adam, you will visit a hospital "
Travis   Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:06 pm GMT
Candy, actually, Sander is right, as what he is using is the present subjunctive of "werden", which conjugates exactly like how he describes it.
Sander   Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:19 pm GMT
For god sake "HELP ME" :-)
greg   Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:23 pm GMT
Candy, Sander, Travis & German bloke : vielen Dank. I habe « besuchen » und « besichtigen » (noch ein Mal) vermischt !

Adam : bleib beim Krankenhaus. Und bitte, schicke uns keine Postkarte an !
Adam   Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:52 pm GMT
Why do people speak to people in a language that they cannot understand, and expect an answer?

That's pretty dumb.
Guest   Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:00 pm GMT
"Adam : bleib beim Krankenhaus. Und bitte, schicke uns keine Postkarte an "

Karjatades kundikarju, süües musti hooramarju leidsin eilse Nurmekunna ma. Veel ei olnud otsas mõdu, veel ei olnud sündind sõdu, lembitut, kes liitis Maavalla. Hingel hakkab veidi valus. Kuskil laanes, kuskil talus, kostab vaikselt vilepilli hääl. Kuskil nurmel lõhnab mesi. Tuul toob kokku inimesi, hõbedased sõled rinna pääl.
Guest   Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:05 pm GMT
Adam is time for you to upgrade your brain ! A bilingual one ! But with two neurons.

Why the Brits don't study any foreign languages ? You need at least 2 neurons for that !

Why the Brits don't brush their teeth ? You need at least 1 neuron for that !
Guest   Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:05 pm GMT
<<Candy, actually, Sander is right, as what he is using is the present subjunctive of "werden", which conjugates exactly like how he describes it. >> (Travis)

But you can't say <<Du werdest sofort ein Krankenhaus besuchen >> surely?? Why would that be in the subjunctive? I'll take your word that it's correctly conjugated, Travis: I barely know the subjunctive. But it certainly doesn't mean 'you have to' as Sander stated!

Sander, I'm not sure what you're asking: to translate the German sentences into English or describe the German tense? I'm going out now so don't have time, but maybe Travis would be a better person to help you anyway? I only speak German by feeling, I have no idea of the rules! :) (People seem to understand me OK!) :)

<<Why do people speak to people in a language that they cannot understand, and expect an answer? >> (Adam)
It means we can make fun of you without you understanding.
Brain Surgeon   Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:06 pm GMT
Adam is time for you to upgrade your brain ! A bilingual one ! But with two neurons.

Why the Brits don't study any foreign languages ? You need at least 2 neurons for that !

Why the Brits don't brush their teeth ? You need at least 1 neuron for that !
Sander   Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:26 pm GMT
It really does 'feel good' to me ... though I bet there are other ways of saying the same...
Candy   Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:26 am GMT
Oops, just noticed that I forgot to sign in above (7.05pm). Sander, are you still there??
Sander   Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:22 am GMT
Never mind Candy, I have a sneaky suspicion that we're both right. ;-)
Candy   Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:06 pm GMT
<<Never mind Candy, I have a sneaky suspicion that we're both right. ;-) >>
Not for the first time! :-)
eito(jpn)   Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:06 pm GMT
>>British spellings conserving the FRENCH spellings !<<

But peeple usually don't spell "caracter" insted of "character", even if "caractère" in French. Sometimes obedient to French, and sometimes obedient to Greek/Latin. How unprincipled!
Harry Petter   Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:40 am GMT
Since I don't know Adam, I would recommend the polite way of addressing him in German: "Sie müssen......"

/ P