Frisian

joee   Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:14 am GMT
Does spoken Frisian sound anything like spoken English? Do they sound similar?

Also, can somebody tell me where I can find some recordings of Frisian?
Guest   Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:33 am GMT
I watched a video where it showed that there are a few basic words in it sound just like English ones, but for the most part, it sounds very different.
Guest   Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:20 am GMT
To my ears it sounds absolutely different!
Guest   Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:03 am GMT
Depends on the dialect of English. There are some UK dialects which sound similar, the more 'throaty' ones, if you know what I mean.
Guest   Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:02 pm GMT
I don't think it sounds much like American English, but I can easily see a relation between Frisian and some British dialects--it sounds no more foreign to my ears than any of them do.

It really sounds a lot like recreations of Middle English, if you've ever had a chance to hear those, yet I know those are specualtive (no one actually recorded what ME really sounded like).

I can understand some short phrases pretty well. Others "sound" like English, but the translation indicates false cognates:
"en hy lei yn ’e kost by har âlden" sounds like
"and he lay in the coast by her olden" but it really means
"and he [was] boarded (i.e. "lay in cost", "was provided room and board") by her parents (elders, old ones)"

Here is a link to some Frisian examples (sample text also provided):
http://www.tiersma.com/FRISIAN/SOUNDS.HTM
IT begins with "THE PRONUNCIATION OF FRISIAN" section, so scroll further down for the examples.

http://www.tiersma.com/FRISIAN/FRISIAN.HTM
is the Home Page
Earle   Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:04 pm GMT
I picked up a Frisian hitchhiker once, who'd had car trouble, in the countryside between Leeuwarden and Groningen. I'm fluent in German and understand and can use some Dutch. I tried everything, but communication, other than sign language, totally failed. Of course, I realize that some of the Frisian dialects are not mutually intelligible...
Guest   Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:14 am GMT
Shoulda tried Englisch, Earle.
Earle   Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:12 am GMT
Did, guest...
guest   Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:41 am GMT
was he/she a Frisian-only speaker, unable to communicate in Dutch?
Guest   Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:49 am GMT
Mate, it's not THAT rare to find someone who doesn't speak English, you know.... They are out there and a lot more than you'd expect.
Guest   Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:53 am GMT
It's not that usual in the Netherlands. Everyone can speak English there.
guest   Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:58 am GMT
<<Mate, it's not THAT rare to find someone who doesn't speak English, you know.... >>

English, yes, but I said Dutch. I find it hard to believe that a Frisian speaker could not communicate in Dutch.