What is a cosmopolitan person typically like?

Byllet   Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:18 am GMT
What does it mean when we say a person is COSMOPOLITAN?
What is a cosmopolitan person typically like? When would you describe a person as such?
Guest   Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:40 pm GMT
I suppose a truly cosmopolitan person would be equally at home living in anywhere in the world (especially big cities), surrounded by any culture and and language. They would be well-educated, sophisticated, urbane, multilingual, multicultural, intelligent, attractive, etc.

This is in contrast to me, who most folks would consider very provincial -- I'm not a fan of living in big metro areas. I live 85 miles from New York City, and haven't been inside the city limits for decaeds.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:48 pm GMT
Cosmopolitan, when used to refer to a person, means someone who is widely travelled, is familiar with a variety of cultures and types of people and customs and ways of life. S/he is basically free of prejudices and stereotyping traits. The very opposite of parochial or the possession of tunnel vision. Most people in who in metropolitan areas, or in urban areas with a very wide mix of cultures and lifestyles, are generally quite cosmopolitan in outlook.

When used in reference to towns or cities then basically the same meaning applies - they are cosmopolitan simply because of the cosmopolitan nature of the people living there - outward going, broad in outlook, and accepting of all the differences which apply to the human race, whatever they may be.

I'm more than happy to live in an exceedingly cosmopolitan city. Most of the UK's towns and cities are now quite cosmopolitan, as indeed are practically all of Europe's, generally. Hardly surprising really with so many different cultures living cheek by jowl with each other in the world's smallest Continent, geographically speaking. This is even more the case now with the EU's "open borders" policy making it as easy to move around at will as it would to travel to the next county in your immediate neighbourhood.

I could never survive in some backwoods hick place full of narrow close minded bigots. That may suit some people, but most definitely not me! I'd rather stick needles into my eyes.
Damian   Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:50 pm GMT
**Most people in who in metropolitan areas, or in urban areas**

Gibberish! "most people who live in......."
Guest   Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:32 am GMT
Hey, I'm cosmopolitan, but guess what! I live in a backwards (but not backwoods) hick place full of bigots. I hope they don't draw my name with the dot on it this year.
Guest   Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:48 pm GMT
<<I could never survive in some backwoods hick place full of narrow close minded bigots. That may suit some people, but most definitely not me! I'd rather stick needles into my eyes. >>

I guess it dpends on how "backwoods" you are referring to. I don't mind living in small places, as long as they have electricity, telephone, radio, TV, interent, 2WD roads etc. I'd sure hate to live anyplace that's 40 miles from the nearest electrical outlet, for example.

BTW, with TV, internet, etc. these days, it's not clear that folks living in small towns are "hicks" or "bigots".