Does A. English retain the distinction between shall & w

X   Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:32 pm GMT
It is incorrect to say "If I take this medicine, I will recover." But if one will use the proper "shall," won't that person be looked upon as being strange by Americans?
Guest   Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:07 am GMT
No, it's used in America. It's often used as part of a question.

Shall I cook dinner or do you want to eat out?

What makes you think Americans don't use shall?
Lo   Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:21 am GMT
We generally use will in that example of yours, so yeah, there's no distinction for us between "shall" and "will" if you use it like that.

Like guest said, we use it as part of a question but generally people use "should" instead of "shall". It's not completely unknown, some people do use it.

Sometimes people use it wrong and say stuff like "let's shall" to answer a question beginning with "Shall X ..." as in "Shall we go out? Yeah, let's shall" I've heard many young SoCalifornians (15-20) use it like this.
Guest   Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:37 pm GMT
I can honestly say that I never use the word "shall" and most other young people don't either. It's not very common here, but some people do say it. I would use "will" in your example, X.

In guest's example, I would say:
"Should I cook dinner or do you want to eat out?"
Guest   Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:05 pm GMT
The word "shall" is sometimes required in formal specs to indicate normative behavior. In this case "will" is not good enough.

Example: "Each of the computational operations specified by this standard shall be performed as if it first produced an intermediate result correct to infinite precision and unbounded range, and then coerced this intermediate result to fit into the destination's format (see sections 4 and 7)."

Often, in less rigorous specs "will" or other words are acceptable.
Russconha   Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:00 am GMT
Spot on there, guest! 'Shall' is more commanding than 'will'.

My problem with 'shall' is that my German friend uses it when she speaks English, albeit correctly, although it makes it sound too harsh!

Mind, with the German accent, 'You are looking well today' sounds harsh
Aidan McLaren   Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:17 am GMT
"Shall" is pretty much the stressed version of "Will".
Guest   Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:28 pm GMT
In formal English 'shall' ought to be used in the first person to refer to the future: I shall eat dinner tonight. We shall eat dinner tonight. Will is used with other persons: They will buy a car.
HOWEVER when expressing determination or a strong feeling of intent, 'will' may be used in the first person and shall with other persons: We WILL fight for our rights. He SHALL be arrested if he steals these goods.
guest   Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:10 pm GMT
<<Sometimes people use it wrong and say stuff like "let's shall" to answer a question beginning with "Shall X ..." as in "Shall we go out? Yeah, let's shall" I've heard many young SoCalifornians (15-20) use it like this.>>

That use is slang--posh and stylized, not at all what I would call American usage.

"Shall" exists in American English. It's usage is universally known, although not universally practiced. There's no need to ask questions about it. Lay this to rest.
Guest   Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:56 pm GMT
Shall is old-fashioned and formal in American English.
guest   Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:23 pm GMT
<<Shall is old-fashioned and formal in American English. >>

Perhaps, but perhaps not. It all depends on who you ask.

The original question asked if a person would be looked upon as strange by Americans for using "shall". The answer is definitely not. They will be understood 100%.

Some people get the impression, I believe, that we Americans have no concept of what "shall" is, or what it means for that matter. As if it wholly a foreign term to us. Please, go ahead and use "shall". We'll like it just the same. I promise : )