spanish intervocalic b,v

Guest   Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:27 pm GMT
/β/ is also produced when a word start with "b" or "v", but the previous word ends with a wowel, am I right?

For example, if you say "cada vez", "v" is pronounced /b/ or /β/?
Guest   Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:02 pm GMT
let's see. What can you get from this : El universo sobre mi . It has intervocalic 'v' and 'b'.
After hearing it we can discuss:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InZvXKjAr28
Guest   Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:32 am GMT
A woman of Puerto Rican descent told me that she pronounces "b" and "v", but it depends on whether it's a big "B" or a little "b". I haven't heard this described in this way before. Would this have anything to do with your transcriptions?
Gabriel   Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:17 am GMT
<</β/ is also produced when a word start with "b" or "v", but the previous word ends with a wowel, am I right?>>

Yes, you're right.

<<For example, if you say "cada vez", "v" is pronounced /b/ or /β/?>>

"Cada vez" is pronounced [kaða βes], [- βeθ] or [-βeh]
Rodrigo   Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:03 pm GMT
In Spanish we call B, be larga o grande (long or big b) and V, ve pequeña o corta (short or small v) to tell them apart, that's probably what the woman meant. Where I live, it's more common to call them b de burro and v de vaca, but b larga and ve pequeña are not unusual.
Guest   Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:18 pm GMT
I thought that in Spanish we call B as Be and V as Uve
Guest   Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:04 am GMT
There is actually many ways to call it, depending on the country, but it is always obvious to know what the person is reffering to, for example in Mexico we call them like this:

Be Grande = Big Be / Ve Chica = Small Ve

It salso applies to other letters, for example some people call letter Y as Ye, but here in Mexico and most places we call it "Y Griega", just like the Romans did, they called it "Y Graeca" (Greek Y).
Guest   Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:06 am GMT
Be Grande = Big Be / Ve Chica = Small Ve ------> Pero qué locura es ésta?
Guest   Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:08 am GMT
La misma locura que llamarlas Be Larga y Ve corta.
Gabriel   Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:29 am GMT
The simple fact that they need two names should give pause to those who claim that they distinguish b and v in pronunciation.
Guest   Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:40 am GMT
Valiente tontería.
Guest   Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:44 am GMT
Gabriel, quien dijo que podian distinguir entre ambas?
Guest   Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:46 am GMT
La misma locura que llamarlas Be Larga y Ve corta.

En efecto porque la B y la V se llaman Be y Uve respectivamente.
Guest   Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:47 pm GMT
Thank-you, Rodrigo.