"Im life"

Paul   Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:23 pm GMT
I have a friend who keeps saying "im life" when shes pissed off at something. Could anyone explain that? And another thing why do some people say youz guys intead of you guys ?? :O
Russconha   Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:55 pm GMT
You're probably better off asking your friend what she means by 'I'm life' as I have no idea.

'youz guys' is an Americanism. Some languages have a plural for 'you' but in English; 'you' also refers to many people.
Maybe it's the mass mix of cultures and languages over such a short period of time (which in turn has led to the bastardisation of the English language in North America) that has given phrases like 'youz guys' popular usage.
Guest   Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:51 am GMT
I have never heard "I'm life" before.

In the United States, certain dialects use "youse guys", which is not native to the United States at all. If I recall, it originated in Ireland and it can be heard in dialects as far south as Liverpool.

In North America, it can be heard in parts of the Northeast (New York City, New Jersey); parts of New England; areas in the Inland North (Chicago, Buffalo, etc.); parts of the Mid-Atlantic (Philadelphia) and even in rural North Central areas. It is also a distinctive feature found in the Ottawa Valley dialect of Canada.

Most Northern and Western American dialects are partial to "you guys", but in most of the Southeastern United States, it is generally "y'all".
Pub Lunch   Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:00 pm GMT
Here in England we have the similar "youse lot" or simply "youse" when referring to a group. As in "what are youse doing"? or " what are youse lot doing"?. This is being rapidly replaced by the American "you guys" though. And no that wasn't a dig.
Amabo   Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:52 am GMT
"Maybe it's the mass mix of cultures and languages over such a short period of time (which in turn has led to the bastardisation of the English language in North America)"

"Bastardisation"? Oh dear.

You're in the wrong forum. I believe you want the one for Aryan supermen and other such ethnology quacks.