Italian & Portugese Lexical Similarities

Guest   Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:19 pm GMT
What origin does Xuxa have?
Guest   Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:35 pm GMT
What origin do Yanomami have?
Marcos   Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:33 pm GMT
First, let's dispel some erroneous things here:

- guest said "Brazil has never had any black people on a high position, only whites. Brazil is such a rasistic country..."
Let me remind you that Brazil never had a 'Klu Klux Klan' either, but the U.S. did. And you have the audacity to say that Brazil is more racist? In the southern united states in the 50s and 60s blacks were routinely found hanging from tree branches by their necks. This didn't happen in Brazil.

- And speaking of hurricane Katrina...the so-called great United States couldn't, rather, wouldn't even help the New Orleans people in their time of most depserate need. That is totally unacceptable. Beautiful country the U.S. is - -NOT!!! And it was not because of the federal structure - - the U.S. government just didn't see black, impoverished New Orleanians as a priority. Open your eyes man! It had nothing to do with 'centralized' or 'non-centralized government. The government didn't care enough that's all. Oh, but the American gov't is quick to dispatch hundreds of war ships to fight in the world. And they are quick to spend billions of dollars on needless military expenditures, but they refuse to help and develop the underdeveloped infrastructures of starving African nations though. Again, there always has to be something in it for the American gov't.

- There are tons of black Brazilian actors and actresses in Brazilian soaps, movies and tv. Just watch any Brazilian novela televised anywhere in the world and you will see lots of black Brazilian actors. You are dead wrong my friend! Racism in the U.S. is still rampant. Americans are not as united as you think. In the Vietnam war it is a well known fact that American soliers were deeply divided on the basis of their ethnic origins. Blacks stuck with blacks, hispanics with hispanics, and whites with whites. United my ass.

I believe you, and other Brazilians who trash the Portuguese are suffering from a serious 'INFERIORITY COMPLEX'. You must because you are dwelling too much on the past, instead of being concerned with your present.

Lastly, guest said "Brazilians always value foreign things. Americans respect themselves. That's all."
Buddy, you just confirmed what I said: correct, some Brazilians don't like themselves...their anti-Portuguese sentiments only reflect their inferiority-complex. Thank you for that. My point is proven!

By the way, many Americans are also in denial of their English roots.
Giovanni   Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:03 pm GMT
As a Brazilian of Italian ancestry, I can only say that Marcos is quite right. Guest doesn't speak for the majority of Brazilians of any ancestry. He makes the rest of us reasonable Brazilians look bad. I agree with you Marcos: the United States may have brainwashed a lot of people with their pop-culture, celebrity status, but the sobering truth is that the U.S. has been responsible for a lot of suffering in the world. They are still doing bad in the world. On American soil there is a severe social crisis. It is not the utopia people think it is, and I know because I lived there for many years.

The sad thing is that some Brazilians are buying into that America crap, and are losing a sense of themselves.

I am here to tell you that in Brazil the Portuguese are respected. They are not at fault for whatever their forefathers might have done wrong, just like all people in the world are not responsible for what their ancestors did or did not do. In Brazil it is true that the Brazilians of Portuguese descent are found in every sphere of Brazilian society and are doing quite well. But this is true in the Spanish speaking, English speaking and French speaking countries for the people of those descents.
In Brazil the Portuguese have always been the root and foundation of Brazilian society, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, just the way things are. But I can tell you this: they are very hard working and decent people. Good and bad people you will find in any country. There are good Italians and bad Italians (i.e., mafiosos). But they do not represent me. We all have the choice to do good or bad in our lives. Playing the blame game gets one nowhere in life. By far and large my experience with the Portugueses in Brazil has always been very positive. We Brazilians are proud, should feel proud of our beautiful nation. But the Portuguese played a huge role in shaping who we are today, and mainly because they gave us the Portuguese language, and many other nice things.

For Brazil, Portugal is the mae patria...fact of life. Brazilians of every stripe know this and respect this.
Guest   Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:08 pm GMT
If a whole nation gets brainwashed by its government, is it legitimate to despise them all without being labelled racist?
Guest   Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:55 am GMT
Please lock this. It turned into US bashing.
Go to http://brazzil.com if you want to discuss Brazil's historical and current problems. Boa viagem.
Guest   Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:07 am GMT
Guest   Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:16 am GMT
I agree. Please lock this or delete it.
Guest   Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:10 am GMT
" << Madame Bachelet va travailler sur ceci! < What language is this? >>

Is it French? "

You guys are hilarious
Jo   Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:52 am GMT
««The official abolishment of slavery in Brazil was in 1830 - In the U.S.A. it was 1862. »»

To make sure I looked it up and found that slavery was officially and totally forbidden in USA in 1865. A lei Aurea dates from 1888.
It is a known fact that American farmers emigrated to São Paulo exactly
because slavery was still allowed there. Talking about having an influence on the Portuguese language , the 'rrrrrrrrr' pronunciation in SP reminds one of American English. Anyone has another explanation how this 'rrr' sound popped up in Sao Paulo?
JS12   Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:45 pm GMT
The hypocricy here is unebelievable.

It's not okay to bash the U.S.A., but it's okay to bash Portugal?

Practice what you preach people! Maybe if you stop bashing Portugal, no other country will get bashed.

As some have correctly said, the treatment of slaves in Brazil was never, ever as bad as in the U.S.
A. T. Camacho   Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:03 pm GMT
The information on websites such as Brazzil.com are not based on sound scholarship, but on biased views which are designed to fuel
anti-Portuguese sentimentalism. The opinions therein expressed are not objective. Keep that in mind. People must think for themselves. I'll say it again...people should not allow themselves to be indoctrinated by prejudiced and nonsensical information which often is intended to incite resentment and hatred.
Milton   Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:00 pm GMT
I thin brazzil.com is a pretty objective site. Problems should be discussed.
And the site is about Brazil, not Portugal. Why is that Portuguese like appearing whenever Brazil is mentioned. I call it obsession.
Englishmen rarely appear when American problems are discussed. They are polite enough not to stick their noses into foreign countries' affairs.
Guest   Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:29 am GMT
The Englishmen know well that they are a colony of US. They wouldn't dare to speak about American matters. The Americans are their superiors.
Guest   Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:32 pm GMT
"...This would be much better, since there would be many successful countries, industry-driven São Paulo, or tourism-driven Bahia..."

What a silly comment!
Most probably you would be fighting against each other like Colombia, Ecuador and Venezuela are doing at the present. Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela, Bolivia and Perú did have to fight hard against Spain in order to obtain their independence, and did not have the fortune to stay together as a united nation. And although Simón Bolívar struggled to keep them together in one nation called "La Gran Colombia", the project did not succeed.

And regarding the war between Brazil and Uruguay, it is obvious that it did not change Brazil's map to a great extent. Brazil's map before and after the independence from Portugal did not change significantly. The USA, on the contrary, did have to fight a lot and wage wars to attain the territorial area they have nowadays.
So brazilian vocals of this forum stop whining, look forward and be proud of the marvelous country you've been given!