Italian in Argentina

Roalndo   Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:26 pm GMT
Is it true that Italian is spoken in Argentina...

I found this, and I'm wondering if it's true

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentina#Language

Thanks in Advance!
Guest   Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:28 pm GMT
According to a survey, there are around 1,500,000 Italian speakers and 1,000,000 speakers of Levantine Arabic,
Guest   Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:36 pm GMT
In reality it's not Italian but the Napolitan dialect. Anyway you forgot to mention that according to the same survey new generations switch to Spanish. This is the full paragraph :

According to a survey, there are around 1,500,000 Italian speakers[69] (which makes it the second most spoken language in the country) and 1,000,000 speakers of Levantine Arabic,[69] but these numbers are probably no longer current, as the newer generations mostly switch to Spanish and do not speak the ancestral language in the home. The same phenomenon applies to the Galician language that was used by many Spanish immigrants, Yiddish, and Japanese. The usage of these languages is in decline, as the respective immigration waves ended in the first half of the 20th century.
Guest   Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:08 pm GMT
No one speaks Italian in Argentina, the last Italians that arrived to Argentina came more than 50 years ago, and they all had to learn Spanish.
Guest   Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:24 pm GMT
Those Italians in Argentina spoke Napolitan, not fine Italian.
Guest   Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:05 am GMT
<<Those Italians in Argentina spoke Napolitan, not fine Italian.>>

Nevermind. Argentinian Italianized pronunciation is way easier to understand than Spanish Castilian!
Guest   Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:09 am GMT
Only if you are Argentinian.
Guest   Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:37 am GMT
"Nevermind. Argentinian Italianized pronunciation is way easier to understand than Spanish Castilian!"

>That is absurd, they don't pronounce all the S's, which technically makes it incorrect, although Spaniards don't pronounce all the S's either, there are only two countries that do pronounce all the letters and neither Spain nor Argentina are.
Guest   Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:42 am GMT
I'm Spanish an I pronounce all the S's. The Argentinians are not the ones who drop more S's either. It's the Cubans.
Gabriel   Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:48 am GMT
This is one of those topics that just refuse to go away. The wikipedia article is misleading. It says:

"A phonetic study conducted by the Laboratory for Sensory Investigations of CONICET and the University of Toronto showed that the accent of the inhabitants of Buenos Aires (known as porteƱos) is closer to the Neapolitan dialect of Italian than any other spoken language."

The actual study, entitled "Convergence and intonation: historical evidence from Buenos Aires Spanish" definitely does not state or imply that Italian is (widely) spoken in Argentina. The point is that the intonational patterns of SPANISH as it is spoken in Buenos Aires are related to the intonational patterns of a particular type of ITALIAN accent.
Guest   Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:44 am GMT
Even if the Italians who are living in Argentina has Neapolitan as their native speech I'm so sure that they speak and write the standard form too. And don't be so sure that just 1.5 million speak it. You can never tell that most of them do speak it but in a discrete way.

Italians in Argentina control the economy and politics plus the seat of Roman Catholicism is in Italy. So in the near future they will take over the country and impose the Italian language and culture.

ASPETTARE PER LA REPUBBLICA DI ARGENTINA CON L'ITALIANO COME LA SUA LINGUA UFFICIAL E NAZIONAL.
Guest   Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:12 pm GMT
Even if the Italians who are living in Argentina has Neapolitan as their native speech I'm so sure that they speak and write the standard form too. And don't be so sure that just 1.5 million speak it. You can never tell that most of them do speak it but in a discrete way.

Oh yes, sure.

Italians in Argentina control the economy and politics plus the seat of Roman Catholicism is in Italy

Can you prove that? Kirchner doesn't sound very Italian to me. Anyway If the Argentinians with Italian ancestry control the economy that may be the reason why Argentina is poor now.
Guest   Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:58 pm GMT
"I'm Spanish an I pronounce all the S's. The Argentinians are not the ones who drop more S's either. It's the Cubans."
>Really, have you ever being to Argentina or hear a Andaluz speaking?...
Guest   Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:01 pm GMT
"Italians in Argentina control the economy and politics plus the seat of Roman Catholicism is in Italy. So in the near future they will take over the country and impose the Italian language and culture. "

>You are crazy, there are no Italians in Argentina any more, they all stopped coming years ago and now they all speak Spanish, besides why would they want to drop a world language like Spanish for an insignificant language like Italian?
Guest2   Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:45 am GMT
"there are only two countries that do pronounce all the letters and neither Spain nor Argentina are"

If so, what are the two countries? Colombia and Peru? Mexico and Ecuador? Bolivia and Guatemala? I thought that any of those (or at least many regions in those countries), pronounces all the letters, as well as northern and central Spain.