pianist

Guest   Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:25 pm GMT
Do you pronounce this as "pee ANN ist" or "PEE uh nist". I use the first, the second sounds too much like "penis".
Guest   Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:33 pm GMT
The second. I've never heard of the first way.
Guest   Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:41 pm GMT
It depends.

Example One

I hear that the Salvation Tabernacle lost its piano player.

Really? Are they looking for a new PeeANNist?

Example Two

Rogier van der Weyden is a fine concert PEE uh nist.

Maybe he could get a job at the Salvation Tabernacle.

I don't think so, he's a PEE uh nist, not a piano player.
Guest   Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:47 pm GMT
I wrote the half-joking post above. I've had many friends who were pee uh nists. That means that they played serious music like piano concertos, went to conservatories, majored in "Piano performance"-that sort of thing. However, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them had to make ends meet by simply playing for weddings, church services and they were probably called "PeeANNist" at best and not infrequently "piano players" "keyboard guy" or "girl who plays the piano".
Guest   Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:47 pm GMT
I wrote the half-joking post above. I've had many friends who were pee uh nists. That means that they played serious music like piano concertos, went to conservatories, majored in "Piano performance"-that sort of thing. However, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them had to make ends meet by simply playing for weddings, church services and they were probably called "PeeANNist" at best and not infrequently "piano players" "keyboard guy" or "girl who plays the piano".
Russconha   Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:52 am GMT
A man walked into a bar with a 15" wooden box under his arm and says to the bartender

"Hey bartender, I bet you that whatever I have in my box will amaze you"
"No way" the bartender replies. "I've worked here for 22 years and nothing could surprise me now"

"Ok" says the man with the box "I bet you free drinks for the rest of the night that the contents of this box will amaze you"

"You're on" says the bartender.

The man opens the box and takes out a man who is maybe 12" tall, dressed in a tuxedo along with a miniature grand piano. The miniature man plays the piano like nothing the bartender had ever heard before.
Gobsmacked, the bartender says to the man "Where did you get that from?" but the man won't tell him.

After putting the miniature man and his piano away, the man with a box starts to get very drunk. The bartender sees his oppurtunity and tries again. "I tell you what" says the bartender. I'll let you take home the entire contents of this bar if you tell me where I can get one of those"

The now slightly drunk man gives in at such a promising stash of booze.
"Ok, here we go" says the drunk man. "If you go to the local park, there is a big oak tree. If you take 50 paces directly north from it, you will see some slightly broken earth. If you dig about 3 feet down you will find a magic lamp which you can rub, a genie will come out and offer you three wishes. That is how I got my little party trick here"

Within seconds, the bartender has his coat on but just as he is about to leave the bar behind to search for the treasure, the drunk man calls out to him "You'll have to make sure you shout loudly and clearly though, the genie is a bit deaf"

"Really, what do you mean?" asks the bartender

"Well" came the reply "Do you really think I asked for a 12" PEE uh nist"
Johnny   Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:13 pm GMT
That joke rules! LOL
But seriously, isn't it usually pee-ANN-ist in the US? I have no idea.