Plz help me does it sound American

Mark   Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:12 pm GMT
Dan   Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:52 pm GMT
I've listened to this anonymous recording and I sounds like an (Asian?) non-native speaker trying to "sound American". The accent is modelled on American English, but doesn't sound natural. Especially the "r"s sound forced. "Advice" is usually pronounced with a stress on the second syllable, not the first.
No native speaker would say: "I speak American". It's always: "I speak English." If it's necessary to distinguish between British and American English, you'd say: "I speak American English."
Mark   Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:08 pm GMT
thanx for checking it out i was me who was doing this
ok im not asian
Secondly plz plz tell me why it sounded modelled to u or unnatural
and why r sound seemed to be forced to you.
i worked upon my r ths so much but how come they appear unnatural tell me what made u feel that its unreal or made up
Please cuz it will help me>>>>>>
Thanx
Paul   Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:20 pm GMT
You're right, advice is pronounced with the accent on the second syllable and I have never heard anyone say "I speak American." I don't know the nationality of this person though.

On a personal aside, if I were to make a distinction between American and British dialect, I would simply say "I am American" not "I speak American English."
Boy   Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:50 pm GMT
<<I've listened to this anonymous recording and I sounds like an (Asian?) non-native speaker trying to "sound American". The accent is modelled on American English, but doesn't sound natural>>

When should he do if he wants to be a natural speaker of American English?
Boy   Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:52 pm GMT
Sorry for typo: What should he do...
Uriel   Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:15 pm GMT
Sorry, but the link won't work for me. Keeps saying "Cannot find server". I'll try again later.
Mark   Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:19 pm GMT
ya uriel plz plz plzzzzzzzzzzz do cuz u r one of the most devoted writer to this forum and i do trust ur opinion about it plzzzz uriel.
Thankyou..........
Mxsmanic   Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:47 am GMT
Practice makes perfect, especially for pronunciation. You can correct your grammar on the fly, before actually saying something aloud, but that is extremely difficult with pronunciation, so you have to practice until it becomes automatic.
Uriel   Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:28 am GMT
Whew ! All right -- third time was a charm -- finally!

Mark, I'd say you did an excellent job! Most of your pronunciations are pretty close -- maybe slightly exaggerated relative to how I speak, but not bad at all! I can't tell what your original nationality is, so I don't know if that's affecting your accent a little, but I would say that your R's may be just a little over-pronounced, and your vowels have a prominent intrusive-Y quality, but these are minor kinks -- they just make you sound a little like Jack Nicholson.*

You probably know that the next step is just to work on saying things more smoothly, with a natural rhythm, but that will come with time and practice. Until then, you're off to a pretty good start.

* Or, I guess, like a midwesterner -- I think they do something similar with their vowels sometimes.
Mark   Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:12 pm GMT
Thanks dood im really off to a new start.
Mark   Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:13 pm GMT
Thanks dood im really off to a new start.
ok So whats my nationallity plz i wanna check whether i could beat my natural hard accent or not plz tell me that where i belong to according to ur asessment.
thanks again.
freddy   Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:15 pm GMT
hi
you sound good man you'v got that rough mountanious dialect how d you learn dat tell me.
Dan   Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:06 pm GMT
<< R's may be just a little over-pronounced>>>
That's a good observation. The R's are too strong. The rhotic "R" is an important feature of American English pronunciation, but you shouldn't focus too much on it.

By the way, abbreviations like "cuz", "plz", "u", "r"... are not "typically American". They are just abbreviations, commonly used in mobile messaging and in chatrooms to save time and space. It's not necessary to use these contractions on a forum. Here, you DO have enough time and typing space to produce well-formed, grammatically correct sentences. You should realize that it's a matter of style, not British v American usage.

I wouldn't recommend writing phrases like: <<plz i wanna check>>

Keep practising! Practice makes perfect!
Mark   Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:10 pm GMT
Thanks dan for your help i will try my best to remove any sort of errors in my composition.
Thankyou.