If you want to speak pure American, you must study British.

Paul   Tuesday, October 29, 2002, 01:39 GMT
PS By the way - well said Simon!
Sudheer   Wednesday, October 30, 2002, 17:00 GMT
I am an Asian Indian. I had learnt english the british way. I am in USA now. Knowing english was not sufficiant. Knowing how to convey what you want to say is important. The only way to do that is to speak the way how an american would like it to be heard. That brings the discussion to "accent". After learning the accent, I can now convey my message instantly across. I have never been to UK, but I do so, I will learn the accent first because that would make my life easy.
Sudheer   Wednesday, October 30, 2002, 17:00 GMT
I am an Asian Indian. I had learnt english the british way. I am in USA now. Knowing english was not sufficiant. Knowing how to convey what you want to say is important. The only way to do that is to speak the way how an american would like it to be heard. That brings the discussion to "accent". After learning the accent, I can now convey my message instantly across. I have never been to UK, but If I do so, I will learn the accent first because that would make my life easy.
Paul   Wednesday, October 30, 2002, 23:38 GMT
What's the British way? and which American accent do you speak with?

I would say that understanding is not down to the accent but rather what you say. For example, "May I have a cup of coffee?" or "Could I have a cup of coffee?" in the UK but more likely "Can I get a cup of coffee?" in the US.