I'm not good at spoken English.

David Bosch   Friday, May 09, 2003, 19:17 GMT
KT:
OK, thank you; like the NFS Porsche Unleashed.

Boy:
Hi, have you practised the 'talk to yourself'?, is it what you need or would you prefer to work with some other excercise?, just tell me and I will help you.
MunchkinLad   Friday, May 09, 2003, 19:51 GMT
You can say your system crashed completely - that usually means you have to reformat the harddrives and reinstall everything.
raj   Sunday, May 11, 2003, 06:49 GMT
dear sir,,

i don't speak in English.. plz give me support.. for the talkin in english..

i interested for speak in English but.. i have more problem..
If u .. don't mind.. plz support me..
KT   Monday, May 12, 2003, 06:28 GMT
Thanks MunchkindLad.

Raj: I am sure most people using this forum would like to help. But you need to ask specific questions.
David Bosch   Monday, May 12, 2003, 22:40 GMT
Yes, I support KT.

Raj:
What's your problem in english?, well besides the visible spelling mistakes and words like plz, u, talkin.

My first recommendation is to use perfect english so you learn good english, not distorted english; if you type plz, it's better to type please, if you type u, it would be you and talking for talkin.

Hope this helps you, ask us more for further information.
KT   Tuesday, May 13, 2003, 03:25 GMT
Yup.
Eddie   Wednesday, May 14, 2003, 09:59 GMT
Just kidding...What I found most affective for immigrants like me is to find a job where you are forced to speak American English. However, here in San Diego - California it is a big advantage learning the standard speech/intonation/rhythm since the people here used fairly standard American English accent and words.

Like Naisha suggested - I did tried to have a native speaker for a GF. But she was from the NorthWest area (Wisconsin). She constantly corrected me and sex was good.....he he
Simon   Wednesday, May 14, 2003, 10:00 GMT
No because you learn a very limited vocabulary. A relationship is good because you aren't afraid to make a mistake in front of someone you love and they won't cut you down or laugh at you.
KT   Wednesday, May 14, 2003, 10:16 GMT
Eddie:

If you read carefully enough, you should have noticed it was RJ made that "suggestion".
ash   Wednesday, May 14, 2003, 11:37 GMT
i am not good spoken and written english.what can i do?
David Bosch   Wednesday, May 14, 2003, 21:45 GMT
For talking in english, I suggest you to go back to the first pages of this topic and read my explanation of the 'talk to yourself' method, if any doubts come up, just ask me.

And for writing, read, read, and read magazines, books, news, whatever in english. After some time, you will improve your writing skills automatically, hope this helps you.

Any questions?
David Bosch   Wednesday, May 14, 2003, 21:48 GMT
I need advice.

As some of you know, I'm not a native english speaker, and I've been chosen to talk by microphone in front of the entire school in the assembly; the problem is my accent, it does sound british, but perhaps not natural, or too forced, what can I do for it, what should I try?
KT   Thursday, May 15, 2003, 03:01 GMT
So why does your accent sound British? Did you try to speak with a British accent and now you can't get rid of it?

It's really hard to change your accent overnight. I think as long as your pronounciations are right, it doesn't matter which accent you speak with.

As I said before, I do have an American accent after spending years in the States. Of course Americans can easily spot my non-American accent after a couple of sentences. But to non-Americans, they always think I am an ABC.

Now I have returned home from the States for about a year. Once I went to a pub with my local friends. The bartender wasn't Chinese so I ordered in English. When I was done with ordering, some white guy sat next to us at the bar immediately asked where I learned my English from. Sometimes it just feels weird to be singled out like this. Indeed last night I was thinking about how to speak English like a local Hong Kong person so that I won't stand out when I open my mouth. After a few minutes of practice, I found it impossible to change my accent intentionally. I had to think how the locals pronounce every word before I spoke. And my American accent slipped through.

My advice is not to change your accent at all. Correct pronounciation is a lot more important than which accent you speak with. Well, if you have to, record your speech and spot the words that you find unnatural. But don't over do it, it may only make you nervous trying to speak and to worry about the accent at the same time. I hope this helps.
David Bosch   Thursday, May 15, 2003, 03:06 GMT
OK, thank you very much, yes you're very right, I was the wrong one.
KT   Friday, May 16, 2003, 05:15 GMT
Sorry David Bosch I didn't mean to sound rude. Did I read from your other posting that you mentioned you are German? I may need help from you later. :) But before I can ask questions in German with any logical sense, let's stick with our discussion on English right now. Let me know if you wanna learn Chinese.