I'm not good at spoken English.

David Bosch   Monday, May 19, 2003, 21:22 GMT
When I watch a film in British, the only problem I've got is due to the very different accents that take place in it. I get brimmey, posh, etc.
The posh accent (received pronunciation) is very understandable to me, it follows the phonetic ruels, but some others for instance pronounce 'baikon' instead of 'b@con',and moreover.

I'm fully sure almost all the time because I know the words and I've practised them for years, nevertheless when I don't, I look up in the dictionary.
David Bosch   Tuesday, May 20, 2003, 23:46 GMT

KT:
Good news, well, firstly thank you for your advice.

The assembly I was talking about took place this Monday.
I was the prsenter and blablabla.
Well, the point is that I didn't hide my accent which I really thought was weird, but thereupon everybody congratulated me, even though Britain is very special with accents. lol

Thank you very much.
KT   Wednesday, May 21, 2003, 03:46 GMT
David Bosch,

It's my pleasure to help and I am happy to know it went well.
How do you say "You're welcome" in German?
Boy   Wednesday, May 21, 2003, 08:04 GMT
Why do you watch British movies? Why don't you watch American movies?
Do you hear informal lingo in the British movies?
Simon   Wednesday, May 21, 2003, 08:11 GMT
What's wrong with British films? And why in the United Kingdom aren't American films classified as "World Cinema" along with the French, Spanish and Japanese films.
Myriam   Wednesday, May 21, 2003, 13:33 GMT
Hi, im a university student at Oxford.
I was wandering if you may be able to help me. I feel pretty confident in communicating to people even though i sometimes make mistake. I understand that making mistakes is a natural process whilst learning a second language. However, i do have a fear....... i feel very unconfident when having to make presentation in front of a huge number of people.
I also realise that this fear is not caused by the large number of people being present, but is due to the fact that the majority of these people are English.
This put me in difficulties when trying to deliver a message as i become selfconscious that my mistakes may annoy people, starting to feel unintrested.... What would you recommend me to do?
boy   Thursday, May 22, 2003, 02:22 GMT
Nothing wrong with British movies. Actually, I thought only American movies were seen world wide as you know Hollywood is in the USA. Mostly American artists are recognized as super stars world wide. I don't know what you call your film industry. Whatever I have English channels on my Tv set, all are American-based. That's why I asked you that you were still stick to your local movies. Could you please tell me a name of a British blockbuster which has been recently released?
David Bosch   Thursday, May 22, 2003, 02:42 GMT
I watch British films because I want to learn British english because I am living here in Britain, obviously we all watch American films, but I'm more interested in British ones.
shyam   Friday, May 23, 2003, 05:00 GMT
Respected sir/Madam;

This is shyam.I seen your suggestion.I would like to develop my communication skills.how can i improve my skills.Every day I am worrying about my life because i don't have proper english, i don't get any job.Every day i am think about my life because i don't know english how can i get job.how can i improve my comunicatiom.Please let me know.help me.

Thanks
Regards
Shyam
Tremmert   Friday, May 23, 2003, 19:29 GMT
David you asked for my email address but it seemed to get buried in another forum - just in case you still need it: tremmert52@yahoo.co.uk

I might need some help with Germa an too - after about half a year though ;)
earasu   Monday, June 02, 2003, 14:53 GMT
iam having a problem incommunication skills,i sometimes struggle to argue with my friends in english,i dont know some times how start the speech in new places,but mostly i can able to understand if any body speeks english,i resolutely want speek in english spontaneously because iam professional student ,please help me iam in crisis.thankingyou
Corey Graham   Wednesday, June 04, 2003, 15:59 GMT
The only thing I can recommend is to read simple books (ages 8-12), then to progress to middle school texts, and then you'll have no problem reading at a College level.

I recommend short stories, poetry, and murder mysteries.

Most of all have fun doing it, if you don't like it then feel free to find a language you do like.
naveen singh   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 11:19 GMT
i want learn spoken english perfectly
mike   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 11:46 GMT
During my experience with English I have discovered one very interesting thing. People who are afraid of speaking have not got accustomed to their own voice in a foreign language yet. Whenever they are forced to speak their minds or say anything, they find it rather difficult and funny because they are too much used to the sound of their own voice speaking their mother tongue.
To overcome the problem, I recommend reading aloud and very slowly. Try to look at an old word or expression from a different perspective. Try to look at a foreign language as if you saw it for the very first time in your life. Savour each and every word being spoen by your lips. Rediscover the language they you learn.
mike   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 12:26 GMT
spoen* - spoken
they* - that