English /Borrowing from other languages

Clark   Monday, June 09, 2003, 01:46 GMT
Hmm, no; "whisky" comes for the GAELIC word "uisge" (oo-sh-keh) which means "water."
Jim   Monday, June 09, 2003, 03:35 GMT
Isn't that basically what I said (highly summerised)?
Clark   Monday, June 09, 2003, 03:42 GMT
Not really. It sounded like the other person said whisly was a Japanese word. You then did not tell her that it was; you did not appear to correct her by saying whisky is a Gaelic word in origin.
tulip   Monday, June 09, 2003, 18:38 GMT
Today we are all familiar with such words as
almanac, arsenal, calibre, cipher, cotton, nadir, zenith and zero from Arabic,
bungalow, dinghy, loot, and pundit from Hindi,
coffee, fez, horde, tulip and turban from Turkish
azure, bazaar, carvan, chess, paradise, orange, kiosk, pyjamas, scarlet and tiger from Persian,
atoll, calico, curry and teak from Dravidian,
Silk and tea from chinese,
bamboo, gutta-percha, and sago from Malay,
taboo and tatto from Polynesian,
hammock and hurricane from caribbean through Spanish,
maize from Cuban through Spanish and
igloo and kayak from Eskimo.
There are many more.
chana   Monday, June 09, 2003, 18:43 GMT
the word "shampoo" was first recorded in the sense "massage"-mid 18th century- as part of a Turkish bath process. It comes from Hindi "campo"! 'press'!, the imperative of campna.
greek   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 03:02 GMT
and if you've seen 'my big fat greek wedding', all words are derived from greek! ha, i love that old man in the movie...he's a funny man.
Jim   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 04:26 GMT
I see what you mean. Perhaps I was not clear enough in my explanation. So if there is still any doubt ...

The word "whisky" or "whiskey" is not of Japanese origin.

It came to English from the Gaelic "uisce beatha" (Irish) or "uisge beatha" (Scotish).

The Japanese word "uisukii" came from English.

To understand why the word is spelt "uisukii" in Japanese you have to have an understanding of katakana.

Katakana is one of the two phonetic writing systems used in Japanese.

When you transliterate "whiskey" or "whisky" into katakana you get "ウイスキー" then when you transliterate that back into roman letters you get "uisukii".
Jim   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 04:29 GMT
It doesn't look like my katakana came out properly ... I'd half expected that.

I'll try this ... ウイスキー
Clark   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 04:37 GMT
Jim, I think that you forgot to put the "r" in "breatha." It literally means "the water of life" in Gaelic (and Irish).
Chantal   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 04:56 GMT
As people are interested in the etymology of "whiskey" or "whisky", I checked my "Webster's" :
"Whisky" is (Br.) the preffered spelling for scotch 'whiskey' for Irish or bourbon/a drink of whiskey shortened from "usquebaugh" form Ir. Gael. "usisgebeatha"/water of life !
I can't believe it's water of life !
Chantal   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 04:58 GMT
Greek
I saw the movie. which words are derived from Greek ? Could you please give some examples ?
Teddy Bear   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 05:00 GMT
oops ! a typo
I meant "from Persian naranj"
Jim ウイスキ&#1254   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 07:09 GMT
If I forgot to put the "r" in "breahta" then you can blame The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. I just did a cut and paste job. See the site I posted on the previous page.

The spelling of the word is interesting. As far as I know, whiskey is from either Ireland or the USA and if it's from any other country it's whisky. This, of course, includes Canadian whisky.

It's worth noting also that on bottles of Japanese whisky you see it spelt "whisky". You never actually see it spelt "uisukii" on bottles. The spelling "uisukii" is just a romanisation of the word in katakana.

Chantal, I can't believe that you can't believe that whisk(e)y is the water of life.
Clark   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 09:18 GMT
Well, I guess I am wrong then. I could have sworn there was a "r" in there.
Chantal   Tuesday, June 10, 2003, 10:45 GMT
I hate whiskey and whisky