English /Borrowing from other languages

Fred   Friday, June 27, 2003, 18:13 GMT
"Summon" is from old French 'somondre', From Latin 'summonere' originally meaning give a hint but later used in the sense 'call, summon'.
Mohan   Saturday, June 28, 2003, 19:07 GMT
The richest language in terms of words/expressions is undoubtedly Sanskrit. The nature of the language is such that innumerable words could be formed that leads to an ocean of words and expressions. In fact, every word is no different from an expression since every single word can be reduced to the basic verb that underlies it. E.g., "Atapatra" - umbrella, actually means "that which protects from sunlight".
According to a legend, Sanskrit words were recited by Lord Brahma to a sage for an entire year but still all the words could not be included. Since the language is no more in a common person's tongue, the vastness of the language is not discussed anywhere. Isn't that a pity for a great language?
Clark   Saturday, June 28, 2003, 23:31 GMT
I am trying to find maps of America showing the population diversity of the states. And by "population diversity," I mean the different immigrant groups that have settled in certain areas. For example, I would like to see a map of the state of Indiana, showing all the people of German, Scots-Irish, French, Polish, Danish, Norwegian, etc...

A long time ago on this forum, there were some threads that had several links to sites like this, but they have been erased.

Any help would be appreciated.
chantal   Saturday, June 28, 2003, 23:59 GMT
Clark
go to
English grammar flaw found
chantal   Sunday, June 29, 2003, 00:04 GMT
Mohan
I read that Classical Sanskrit has some fifty letters, with various added vowel marks and ligatures : fourteen vowels and thirty-six consonants.
Kabam   Sunday, June 29, 2003, 00:10 GMT
Wow! Must be a very subtle language to speak!
New comer   Wednesday, July 02, 2003, 22:11 GMT
Maroon
this marron used to in colour contexts was first found in the sense 'chestnut'. It is from French 'marron', 'chestnut', via Italian from medieval Greek maroon. The sense relating to colour dates from the late 18th century.
Heaven   Saturday, July 05, 2003, 22:19 GMT
"cliché", "déja vu", "fiancée", "forté" are borrowed from French.
potato   Saturday, July 05, 2003, 22:31 GMT
tomato!!!!!!!!
Don't cry for me antimoona...   Sunday, July 06, 2003, 05:31 GMT
don't leave antimoon !
Bayou Rover   Sunday, July 06, 2003, 07:02 GMT
From French: beua, beau geste, beau monde, beau ideal, beaucoup, bel espirit, beaux-arts, tant mieux, tant pis, régisseur, opéra bouffe, opéra comique, barré
From Japanese: tansu, nunchaku
From Spanish: ranchero, rancho, pulque, tortilla, taco, nueva trova, barrio
From Greek: hoi polloi
From Latin: ora et labora
From Italian: opera buffa, opera, nuncio
From Inuit: nunatak
From German: blitzkrieg
abcd   Sunday, July 06, 2003, 09:02 GMT
From German : bretzel
wanna   Sunday, July 06, 2003, 09:06 GMT
From French : 'née', e.g, Jane Smith, née Brown
yuiop   Sunday, July 06, 2003, 09:08 GMT
Where is 'hobnob' from ? It doesn't sound English. And what does it mean ? I read : they were seen hobnobing together. Is it more British or American ?
yuiop   Sunday, July 06, 2003, 09:10 GMT
Where is 'hobnob' from ? It doesn't sound English. And what does it mean ? I read : they were seen hobnobing together. Is it more British or American ?