Mums the word

chantal   Monday, June 16, 2003, 21:48 GMT
I speak with Americans very often. I'm under no impression that they pronounce 'Mom' like /marm/. I mean I don't hear any 'R' sound. I hear the /O/ of 'mum' like the /O/ in 'got'.
Jim   Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 03:01 GMT
It's like Guofei Ma says, Canadians & Americans pronounce the "o" in "mom" and "got" as /a:/. That is, it sounds like the "a" is "father".

The British, Aussies, Kiwis, South Africans, etc. don't pronounce it this way. We pronounce the "o" in "got", "shot", "not", etc. with rounded lips and the sound coming from the back of the mouth.

Canadians & Americans pronounce the "ar" in "arm", "harm" & "farm" as /a:r/. That is, it has an /r/ sound.

The Aussies, Kiwis, South Africans, most British, etc. don't pronounce it this way. We pronounce the "ar" in "arm", "harm" & "farm" as /a:/. That is, there is no /r/ sound.

I would pronounce "marm" as /ma:m/. An American would pronounce "marm" as /ma:rm/. I would pronounce "mom" as /mom/. An American pronounces "mom" as /ma:m/. An American pronounces "mom" the was I would pronounce "marm".

Asda would have meant /ma:m/ not /ma:rm/ when she wrote "marm".
chantal   Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 03:46 GMT
thank you Jim
Jim   Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 04:55 GMT
No problem, Chantal.
Simon   Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 07:42 GMT
No, I meant the "mum" in "mum's the word" is not necessarily the same "mum" as the word for mother.
McNight   Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 13:41 GMT
An American once said to me

I wiish I haad an aksehn'

McMom   Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 14:13 GMT
Hmm, so using this mum becomes mom in the states logic, can one say..

"Like your mom has such a huge bom"
Simon   Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 14:26 GMT
Shot op, McMom.
McMom's Diddy   Tuesday, June 17, 2003, 14:47 GMT
Hey!
Jim   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 00:16 GMT
McMom,

No,
"Like, your mom has such a huge bom." would not sound like
"Like, your mum has such a huge bum." but it would sound more like
"Like, your mahm has such a huge balm."

A word spelt "bom" would be pronounced like the word "bomb". In the Canadian and US accents this becomes a long vowel. The word "bum" has a short vowel.

bomb
Aust, NZ, RP, &c. /bom/
Can & US /ba:m/

balm
everywhere /ba:m/

bum
everwhere /b^m/
efmvanm   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 00:35 GMT
Igh artul morital ofocaun chartin poriovir meyklaüm çereyboom. Ishtarol, oortil mekadamehn aleyoko tsatunè. Forlikom otshiolk kzabun erft tail niokum. Jar, ribalim coritoulagh antertemir bogdaran. Presmoon, rataidar igh chartin soaor. Juit, ksarç aktebrroüm cevèfouur naiem. Oktolingo, chavayen.
Clark   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 05:05 GMT
What language is this, efmvanm?
Clark   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 10:32 GMT
If you are still there, would you mind giving us a hint as to what language you are writing in? Is it a Conlang? Something you made up?
efmvanm   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 12:39 GMT
This is a made up language. It doesn't make sense at all. I just wanted to have some fun. However, I chose carrefully all the sounds in each word so that they sound pleasant (to me). I have also used twice "Igh" so that one could think there is sens lying in the sentences.
Sorry if I disapoint you, but if you really like the sounds, why don't you make up this language?
I'd be curious to hear the result.
By the way, I think this words would sound better if spoken with the irish accent, don't you think so?
Sir Lojban   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 12:48 GMT
Lojban. The logical language.

Has anyone ever heard of this language? I had to study it briefly once, its an artificial language and seemed kinda weird.