Mums the word

Gato   Thursday, June 12, 2003, 18:03 GMT
What does this mean?

Mums the word...
chantal   Thursday, June 12, 2003, 18:08 GMT
used when asking somebody to keep a secret. Say nothing about this !
Silent ! keep mum !
Jim   Friday, June 13, 2003, 00:38 GMT
I think it's "Mum's the word."
HiyaKiani   Friday, June 13, 2003, 05:34 GMT
~~~MM~~~
Mom's the word. Mum sounds wierd. "Oh, Mummy? Look!" I wouldn't wan't want to call my mom that. To me it's just a dead body wrapped in cloth and stored in a pyramid. Mommy is more like it. Not that I'm being cynical or criticizing or anything...
***MP & BB, Kiani***
. ^ * ^ .
=(^ . ~)= <meow!> Meet my cat, Nyuu-Neko! ("Meow-Cat")
p.s.: Happy Friday the 13th!
Simon   Friday, June 13, 2003, 09:21 GMT
No mum's the word. Mom's the word implies the mum is the same word as for mother, which I don't believe.

mum - 1521,
from M.E. mum, mom, imitative of the sound made with closed lips. Phrase mum's the word is first recorded 1704. As an abbreviation of chrysanthemum it is first attested 1924.

mumble - c.1325, momelen,
probably freq. of mum.

mummer - c.1405,
probably a fusion of M.Fr. momeur "mummer" (from momer "mask oneself," from momon "mask") and M.E. mommen "to mutter, be silent," related to mum.
Antonio   Friday, June 13, 2003, 11:36 GMT
Simon:

Thanks for your lexographic contribution. Where did you take those from?
Guofei Ma   Friday, June 13, 2003, 23:31 GMT
"Mum's the word"- universally. As Simon said, the "mum" refers to the closed lips, not one's mother. However, contrary to Simon's belief, children in the UK and the Commonwealth (except Canada) do refer to their mothers as "mum" or "mummy". In Hong Kong, we called our mothers "mummies" before we learnt about Egyptian mummies. It was rather scary knowing that your mother shared a common name with a wrapped-up dead body.
Tabisora   Saturday, June 14, 2003, 15:42 GMT
Hiyakiani,

"nyuu neko" tte itta yo ne.
moshikashitara, nihongo ga dekiru kashira?
tokorode, sono neko wa douyatte aeru no?
Crab Bloke   Saturday, June 14, 2003, 15:49 GMT
YOU'RE ALL DUMB ASSES!
ESPECIALLY THE FRENCH!
Crab Bloke   Saturday, June 14, 2003, 18:43 GMT
I'm such an arsehole!!!!!!!
Crab Bloke   Saturday, June 14, 2003, 18:45 GMT
OOOh yeah!! That's sooo good to be that stupid!!! I'm having an orgasm!!!
To Crap Bloke   Saturday, June 14, 2003, 18:47 GMT
You don't need to state what you are. We're perfectly aware of it. :p
asda   Sunday, June 15, 2003, 18:03 GMT
Mom sounds really bad,

American pronounce it (to my ears) as MARM
While you can't go wrong with MUM
hp20   Monday, June 16, 2003, 00:43 GMT
marm? ew that sounds really ugly. i can tell you i've never heard anyone over here say it that way, i'd have told them to stop. as for me, i say "ma"
Guofei Ma   Monday, June 16, 2003, 19:42 GMT
The reason why hp20 doesn't realise that Americans pronounce "mom" as "marm" is because...
1. hp20 has lived in America for her whole life and is accustomed to the American pronunciation of the "o" sound as "ah". The British pronounce "o" with rounded lips and the sound comes from the back of the mouth.
2. asda is most likely a British and when she wrote "marm" she did not intend to pronounce the rhotic "r" sound. What she meant by "marm" is probably "mahm" to Americans.